Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I have been riding in the cold damp weather alot lately and last night when I got home, I noticed something funky.

I don't have a pic of it, but the oil level siteglass looks like a mog of frosty cold root beer. There is a thin line of oil at the bottom and then a creamy tan foam all the way up to the top of the siteglass.

I just recently did an oil change(less than 100 miles with 15-50 Mobil 1 Synthetic) and changed the plugs. I pulled the fill plug and there was some foam in the recessed portion of the plug. I smelled it and it smelled like normal warm oil smell with no hints of fuel or water. I also shined a light down into the engine and saw the oil sitting in the sump and it looked normal.
I looked at it again this morning and it was still sitting with the same thing.
I rode it to work this morning and had no strange noises like there were internal problems. And it ran fine.

Any idea? I wouldn't think running an open airbox lid would create issues with water being sucked into the engine, but then the only thing I have ever seen relatively close to looking like this is the last time I had to do a head gasket on a car and water got into the oil.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to harm the engine and I am going to change the oil again this weekend to make sure I don't. But I don't want to have to do this every weekend.

Thanks.
Ryan

·
Banned
897 Posts
Sounds like the typical 'oil not getting hot enough for long enough' deal. I cover the oil cooler this time of year and have no problems with either too hot, or moisture in the oil.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have had this happen as well before my last oil change. I figured it was moisture in the oil.

Ddan said:
Sounds like the typical 'oil not getting hot enough for long enough' deal. I cover the oil cooler this time of year and have no problems with either too hot, or moisture in the oil.
What do you use to cover the oil cooler?

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
anybody have a vague idea of how cold is "cold enough," when it comes to wanting to cover up your oil cooler?

i rode across town this morning and it was about 43 degrees, but the bike seemed to warm up and run fine.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Duct Tape. 43 deg is cold enough unless you're riding a fair distance.

To the OP if you cover your cooler and ride the bike for about an hour the moisture will disappear. No need to dump that oil.

·
Banned
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Nate. And everyone else with input.
I covered the cooler this morning with several think layers of foil and put my Rizoma oil cooler guard back on over it to hold it in place.
I took a short ride and when I got to work this morning, looks like it has pretty much cleared up. I always forget that cool air good for engine while cool oil can be bad since it can't 'burn off' contaminants properly.

All seems well and I really am glad since I place on doing a few hundred miles this weekend.

Thanks again guys,

RYan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.