Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Flywheel weight

2K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  murry 
G
#1 ·
Trying to decide which flywheel to buy.

Nichols.............12 oz.....$295.00
STM................36 oz.....$235.00
D. performance..34 oz.....$208.00 (from dealer)

Do my numbers look correct?

It seems like an easy decision to me if the nichols is really that much lighter. I'm riding a 2-valve, 3-phaser

Thanks for the input,
murry

G
#3 ·
if BCM's not convenient (because their offer is very reasonable for the work), you could take the f'wheel to a local machine shop and have them turn it down on a lathe. as long as the post-machinine diameter is large enough to securely mount the alternator drum on it, you should be fine. 13cm's about right, give or take a bit.
personally, i had BCM machine my stocker. then i sold it to buy a nichols before i even used it. ha! i'm impatient i guess.
here's the weights i got:

stocker: 4 lbs, 2.5 oz
BCM-machined stocker: 2 lbs, 6.0 oz
nichols: 0 lbs, 8.5 oz (!)

this is for a 4valve/3phase f'wheel so it'll be a bit different but you get the idea.

G
#5 ·
Thanks for all of the input. I think I'm going with the nichols because it's so much lighter. I have one more question. How will my idle be affected with a flywheel that light? Should I expect stalling problems?

murry

G
#9 ·
Thanks for the warning MarkV. I must admit though, I'm buying the flywheel for the extra bite ;D, but I will be careful until I get used to the power delivery.

I made a mistake with my prices on my orginal post. The nichols cost 200.00 and not 295.00. I was pleased to find this out when I ordered the part the other day and if all goes well I'll be testing it out tomorrow night. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again,
murry

G
#11 ·
So much for that being careful comment before ;D. I installed the flywheel tonight and although I don't like to ride wheelies at night, I couldn't help my self. It was a bit cold so I didn't ride long but I knew it was a different motorcycle right away. What a difference. I'm looking frorward to tommorrow.

murry

I'll try my best Don :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.