Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a website or past poster that can give me a step by step guide on removing and replacing my 94 900 Monster's flywheel to send off to BCM for lightening.

Q

·
0 Posts
Hi man. I don't think that you need a step by step manual. You need first to drain the oil, you take of your sprocket cover, after you remove your clutch slave cylinder (3 bolts), after you remove all the bolts on your left engine cover, But here is a clue, you need a little puller to remove this engine cover (it is a lot easier ;)) Finally, you just need to remove the big nut at the end of the crankshaft with an impact gun (heating with an heater gun the nut will ease ;)). After that you just have to remove everything until you reach the flywheel. Be sure to take several notes to put everything back at the right place. I own myself a ducati monster 900 1995 and I have done it myself without any shop manual. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
also, most folks that sell flywheels offer words of support or encouragement. well, i do. and i know nichols does, too. i was going to do a web page with pics, but honestly, their instructions cover it. i sometimes think that if one cannot figure out a task via their instructions and need more help, they should probably get someone to help them...

not overly difficult, but not simple. BTW, i've got a company working on a quote for left cover gaskets. i HATE using gasket sealer on that big ass cover.

:) chris

Q

·
0 Posts
I think that there is nothing wrong with sealer gasket. Why pay for a ducati gasket when you can create one with a good quality silicon. :)

S

·
0 Posts
what i definately need to include on my f'wheel page is a comment about the sealant for the alternator side cover. that lowside i had a couple weeks ago that i blamed on cold tires was actually due to a sllllllloooooooooowwwww dribble oil leak. didn't catch it until it was too late.

so... when installing that side cover, take extra care that the surface on the engine case is CLEAN and that the surface on the cover is CLEAN. then smear on a nice even layer of goo on the cover before installing. you don't need a thick layer by any means, just make ABSOLUTELY SURE you've got full coverage on the mating surfaces...

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
On the Nichols flywheel page, click on the flywheel for your model and year bike, then "Click on the MORE button for Installation Instructions:"

http://nicholsmfg.com/flywheelPool.html

A couple good things about using a Nichols unit:

1. Their willingness to provide whatever level of hand-holding one might require.

2. Their guarantee...if you do not like your new flywheel, they will buy it back (something I was told they have only been asked to do twice).

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I think that there is nothing wrong with sealer gasket. Why pay for a ducati gasket when you can create one with a good quality silicon. :)
it doesn't always seal. so the options are to REALLY glob it on and make a mess or risk doing the job multiple times. how many side covers have you removed? it's a real pain to get that thing off. even WITH a puller. sometimes i wonder if this is going to be the time that i break a cover.

paper please.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts