Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still debating this option, though FCR's are almost certain.

I've heard that Enduro/Motard bikes have a heavier flywheel to add grunt in low RPM, when going through tight stuff. I know the flywheel on the Monster makes RPM very responsive, but gets unstable in low RPM. Is that only in idle or felt also above, say 4-5K?

I ride technical roads more than fast sweepers. Opinions?

M

·
0 Posts
heavier flywheels keep the crank spinning at the expense of throttle response - the mass carries through via inertia... lighter flywheels allow the crank to spin faster at the expense of momentum used to keep the crank spinning at low rpm's.

in situations where you have a lot of power and want to make it tractible, a heavier flywheel helps... as seen in sbk and gp racing where they're putting down gobs of hp through one rear tire. same could be applied to enduro/motard bikes when on slippery/sandy surfaces or if you're crawling over stumps and bumps at 2 to 3 miles and hour... if you ride your monster on those kind of surfaces then you might want to stick to the standard flywheel, however for the majority of street applications i think a lighter flywheel only makes you happy once you learned how the bike behaves with a more responsive throttle.

imo if your street bike is in a correct state of tune then a light flywheel will only make it more responsive. i have the nichols flywheel (lightest available commercially) on my two valver and it has never stalled on me in the tightest of paved twisties.

N

·
0 Posts
how hard is it to install the lighter flywheel? i am no master mechanic, but i think i could handle something like this. any other feedback on a lighter flywheel in general would be greatly appreciated!!

N

·
0 Posts
thanks for the info jeff, sounds like a worthwhile mod. how much was the nichols fly wheel? doesnt motowheels carry those?

F

·
0 Posts
California Cycleworks can get you a flywheel for around 200 depending on the model.

Is everyone/anyone replacing the nut on the flywheel? I see it's an extra 50.

M

·
0 Posts
nicholsmfg.com flywheel is an excellant piece and if you dont like it then you can return it,i dont think that others will do that. when you remove the case cover bolts stick them in a piece of cardboard in the order that you remove them as they are different lengths. i recommend the flywheel nuts its cheap ins. against failure. if you do the nuts ,you will need i believe a 35mm deep well socket. this was not a ready available socket at sears or auto stores but can be had at snap on etc. . in a pinch you can use a 36mm sock. but get a six point and preferably an impact sock. the reason for this is because the nuts are torqued to 140 ft. lbs. and a regular 12 point sock. will just barely grab the corners but a six point will grab alot of the flats. also a standard sock. can split under this kind of load, impacts are much harder. and the last tip is when you put the sealant on, only put a bead of 1/16th in or less. when the covers are tightened the sealant will smoosh out just rite. buy the way motowheels does carry these click the engine link. good luck you will love the performance gain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts