Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

fly screen worth it?

16K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  PROTHUNDER97 
#1 ·
one difference between the dark and the non-dark model is the inclusion of the fly screen. i like the more aggressive looks w/out the fly screen of the dark model, but i'm thinking the fly screen will help w/ the wind and well, flies (bugs, etc) from hitting me.

do you think it's a worthwhile addition?

G
#2 ·
I like the look of the bikes without the fly screen too but that little bugger is good for tucking in behind when you're cranking on it!! >:D.......I don't think the stock fairing/windscreens help much just cruising down the highway. But if you like to haul a$s....and do it often.....it's worth it for the tuck in factor.... ;) IMO

#4 ·
argh! i'm just trying to decide between the dark and non-dark models.

i like both the matte black and the glossy black with the red stripes. and as pointed out, the differences are:
the colors
steel vs alum. handlebars
fly screen (front fairing)
seat cowl

if people had felt strongly that the fly screen was really useful and that most likely, i'd have purchased an add on later, it may have swayed me towards the non-dark.

i think i will just have to base it on the color when they come in.

--
what about the alum. handlebars??? are the weight savings worth $500? ;) ;D

G
#5 ·
Personally, even though I like the Dark, I would go with the Gloss. I just prefer the look, and I also like the cleaner look you get when you have teh seat cowl and fly screen.

But one thing I can tell you, all of us on the board love our monsters. And we love them for a lot or reasons, those reasons aren't all the same. So you need to decide what speaks to you about the monster and the differences, and if its a tie, flip a coin.

#7 ·
I have the Dart Fly Screen and would never think about taking it off. It cuts down on wind on the highway (there's still a lot but less than before) and I think it looks real cool. Very unobtrusive, plus you can tuck down behind it when hauling a$$

And they are very well made and not too pricey

http://www.dartflyscreens.com/index.html

#9 ·
;) you'll have to repaint it

I hate fairings, but after riding a few bikes back-to-back I found at 80mph a HUGE difference no fairing, monter fairing (better) and the thing I hate on the Tuono (best) so it will be a while before I get rid of it!!

#15 ·
It's all up to individual taste methinks. Personally, I like the retro look of the single headlight by itself. My flyscreen lasted about 24 hours before I took it off - first mod I did actually! I don't mind the windblast. But that's just me.

G
#16 ·
aluminum handlebars are available for a bit less than 500 bucks. try TAG, Renthal, MOOSE, MSR. they ordinarily range from $30 to $75 for regular 7/8 inch aluminum bars, many color choices available. wife likes her Dart Flyscreen a whole bunch. but i would not call it a "fairing" a flyscreen does not make a goldwing out of a monster.

#17 ·
The Dart Flyscreen looks awesome! You get protection as well as the look of no fairing.

Question: Can someone comment on Dart Flyscreen VS standard monster bikini fairing as far as protection goes? I would really like to change, but like the protection of the fairing. easily 1/2 of my time is superslab at 80-85 mph.

Thanks in advance! and Amen!

Rideon

#18 ·
get a fairing...esp if you plan on riding during the winter. it helps kep the wind off of you a bit more. i prefer not to have one myself, so i am extremely picky about them. they have to have a certain look and must match the color of the bike. all that being said, i have yet to find one i actually like, but when it's cold out certain things take precedence.

yes, all this pickyness from the guy who wants to put moto-x handguards on his monster.... ::)

G
#19 ·
Mine is an M1000 DS 2005, and I never see removing my fly screen, I really like it, and it does cut down on a lot of wind. I have really grown to love the look of it too. I think of it as an eyebrow for a nasty grin ;D as far as looks go.

I love my screen, and mine is black, not matte black, and I love it

#20 ·
Mines a stock screen I picked up on Ebay then painted to match. With a fair bit of highway riding to do around here it made a significant difference to the wind blast at speed. IMHO it's a necessity for rides of any duration. It cuts down on fatigue and the wind chill in the cooler conditions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.