Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just showing off (90% of) the fruition of an idea I had.

The 900 had been sporting the stock beer tray and lights a bit too long. So I ordered up a 1/2 tail for Shift-tech (very nice piece & fast shipping btw). I had a set of Rizoma zero style signals already... but didn't like the look of the 'stalks' on them when combined with the 1/2 tail.

After flailing around a bit, and holding them in various positions and thinking about various brackets - I had the idea to just be rid of the stalks. Off they went - and here's the result, attached below.

Also a thanks to PJ of PJs parts. He sold be some cosmetically fine ones off this shelf that I could butcher for a song.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
I like that, almost makes me think you shouldn't chop the tail, but then again...

chop the freaking tail! [laugh]

very good job though.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tails already 1/2 chopped to fit that tail - bye bye beer tray. I just pulled off that section to do the lights.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
That looks really clean and very professional - almost like they came from the factory that way! One question, as I am about to buy some Zeros: how did the Zeros attach origonally? Were the stalks threaded, and then attached with a nut? Now that they are chopped, did you glue them?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Zeros stalks are threaded into the body. Then there's a threaded post in that stalk. The threaded post is the 'normal' way to attach them.

I removed the threaded post, and then used a screw extractor to brake the stalk free from the body.
To attach them to the tail I just used the stalks. If you flipped the tail over you'd see them on the inside.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Nice clean concept and work. I have one of the tails coming and I'm still up in the air on signals. I'd like to go under the tail or integrated but I'm concerned that the signal bosses molded into the tail won't look right. Your approach may be the best.

What are you using for a plate mount?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not cooked up a good idea for the plate. I might just go the double sided tape route. Perhaps get a CF plate frame to dress it up.

I had a brief though about mounting the plate vertically.. but decided the ticket would not be worth it.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
yuu - could you create something just as magical with $20 a pair signals instead of $85 each variety!!!

Please ;D

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well technically I did... I got a pair 2nd hand. But I know what you mean. Actaully pjsparts.com sells them for about $30 a light. Not the least expsive signals on the market, but I think it's a 'get what you pay for' issue.

As far as making something similar out of less expensive signals - maybe... It relly depends on how they are built. The Zeros construction made it really easy since I didn't need to cut anything. But if you're feeling brave you could take a dremel to just about anything.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PJ and his little gang (of 1 I think) run a good operation. Definetly my go-to place for rizoma gear.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
+ 1 on PJ's - I just order a bunch of Rizoma "kit" from them - including the Zero's (and resistors, grips, mirrors, bar ends, and fluid reservoirs)

Really like the flush mount idea Yuu. I have the DP short guard piece, and will definitely consider what you have come up for a mounting technique.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vindingo said:
Did you fit the resistors when you installed these? I have heard that some people dont need them, and some people do.
i have not yet,, though I haven't actaully fitted the tail and lights yet. I've got a set, though. I know they blink rate will be faster with the Zeros, vs the stock incandesants.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yeah I gotta agree with the rest, that looks pretty trick.

I have Zeros attached to my DP carbon tail but I really like the looks of them flush like that.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Little update to this. So when I got to actually putting it all together, I had a clearance issue. This wasn't a shock at all - I figured it was coming.

As noted before, I just used the 'stalks' passed through the carbon to mount the signal body. Well the full length stalk hits the frame rails. Nothing a hacksaw and some dress up work with a file can't fix. Of course, I didn't have the saw with me (bike's at a firends) so the finished product will be this weekend.

Also, if you plan to do this - get some silicone sealer to squirt into the area in the stalk/nut where the wires pass to prevent water from the wheel getting up in there.

Re - the resistor question. ON a 2000 era bike, like mine, there isn't enough load w/ all LED signals to get the blinker relay to swtich at all. With one set of the stock bug-eyes it would blink, but faster.

I tried to install some resistors - but something was amiss. I ordered a blink relay for LEDs from CA-cycleworks.. so that should sort out that issue.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts