1 - 20 of 20 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
neighbor backed over it with her f*cking SUV! :mad:

*ding-dong*
hello?
is that your motorcycle parked back there?
yeah, why?
I kinda hit it with my truck.
WHAT!!?
I'm super, SUPER sorry!

So in it goes. It's drivable, so I'll be dropping it off tomorrow. thought I was gonna get away with a busted tail signal, but on a closer look the damage included:
bent license bracket
broken left turn signal
broken left mirror
broken right turn signal
right handlebar cap broken
dent in tank
scratches on tank
and last but definately not least - right exhaust pipe bent in against the frame!

all from a knock over.

anyone wanna guess what this is gonna cost her? BHD didn't even want to speculate before seeing it.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Re: fleedatzmonster's bike comes out... mine goes

UGH, that SUCKS, sorry to hear about that.

All the parts except the tank you can probably source pretty cheap. The tank is going to cost $$. If I had the time I would have taken my tank off and sent it to NORM. He can fix the dent, and get it ready to paint for around $200 I *think*.

I guess you should buy some frame sliders while you are at it. I told BHD to NOT put them on my bike after I thought about it. I know that will be a very unpopular choice, and I fully realize how stupid a decision it is.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts

AAARGH! So sorry to hear about this. SUVs should be outlawed. :mad:

My bike crash damage was minimal and Insurance wanted to total it, but got the costs down to a little over $5k. I'm sure it was more damage than your bike so don't panic yet! Of course DNA replaces everything rather than repair. Good news is that I now have money to repair and paint the tank in addition to the fairing, fenders, and it goes on & on. Not to mention the generosity of this board with some extra parts for free! Great group of folks!

I have (all stock) one front, one rear turn signal, clutch/brake lever, for you if you want them. Also, check with BHD to see if they have any take off stock mirrors available, they are generally less in price due to being "used" but in good condition.

Also, BHD has bar ends for not much money...just a couple of bucks unless you want some very trick ones!

When my bike was knocked over (pre-crash and no one left a note!) it left a big dent in the tank and BHD's painter pounded out all but a very small ding for about $250. That is without paint, but an excellent price.

I'll PM you with my number and call me if you want the turn signals and lever!

Good luck and hope you are on the road again soon!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

Tripwire,

Please, don't let 'em keep your bike! If it's not structurally damaged, and is rideable, have 'em do the estimate, but keep your bike.

Choices are:
A) You can leave a ridable bike in their shop for however long it takes for the parts to come in, and not be able to ride until it's done. May take months. Just ask Eric/fleedatz how that felt....

B) You can get them to do the estimate, get the insurance ball rolling, get the parts ordered, etc. Patch the bike up with odds and ends from the folks here, or EBay or wherever, and RIDE YOUR BIKE until they have the parts to fix it back up like new.
------------edit-----------------
Just the opinion of a guy who hasn't gone through it, but has seen what it's done to the folks who have.....

Which year and model of Monster do you have? I've got stock 'mickey mouse ears' mirrors and stock cans gathering dust, you can borrow those if they'll fit.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

Part of the reason my bike took so long was the custom tank paint, and the fact I dropped it off toward the end of December. Christmas, and the New Year holidays really F'd up my plans! Then they found a gasket leak, and had to track down a part. Damnit. I think BHD has worked about as fast as they could, some things just take time.

That being said, if your bike is ridable, then do what speed said, at least you can ride it ya know?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I got a set of stock mirrors and the stock license bracket/mudflap thingy if you want them. Let me know where you are and I'll even run 'em over to you. I got a cool set of new handlebar caps at CycleGear (I think ???) for 8 bucks or so. Pull out the other crappy stock one and upgrade.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Same as Speeddog: I've got some stock things for you if needed. I ride a 620 if that matches.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

WOW!

I can't believe the outpouring of generosity on this forum! ;D

I'm dropping the bike off today, to get it looked at. to be honest, I'm not sure what to do... or what I WILL do - I've never had to deal with an accident of any kind before! (that's with 15 years behind the wheel!)

any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm no motorcycle mechanic, but I have changed the brakepads and oil myslef, so things like the changing the bar ends shouldn't be a problem. to be honest though, I'm tempted to just say, "fix it all" and leave everything to BHD. (it's her insurance money, after all)

Depending on what I do, I might be hitting you guys up for those parts!

thanks
trip

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

Just to clarify, ABSOLUTELY tell BHD to fix it all. It's the right thing to do. She crunched your bike, and you shouldn't have to pay for it.

I'll be glad to loan you my parts to use and ride with until the replacement parts come in at BHD.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yeah I think I have my stock levers, and bar ends...you can have em if you need them....if they fit yours....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Looks like you already have everything you need, but if not I got Mirrors, Signals, and bar ends. Good Luck with the repairs!!

·
Registered
796 Posts

I have a feeling that insurance will total it. A new tank from Duucati is like $1200 or something crazy. If they total it get your check and try to buy the bike back from the insurance company. You will have plenty of money to fix it and lots left over for mods.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I get the feeling I'm in over my head here.

I've never been in an accident before, so the way this whole insurance thing works is really starting to baffle/worry me.

I dropped the bike off and told them to fix everything. I contacted her insurance company and gave them all the info they asked for, and they said they'd send an adjuster out to look at the bike.

when I mentioned this to someone, they said something like DTMsurf mentioned - about considering the bike totaled. what does that mean to me? obviously, they (as an insurance company) are gonna try to get away with as much as possible, and shaft all parties involved - but what are my options here? if they call it totalled what are they gonna offer me for it? how do I find the "official" worth, to make sure they aren't underpaying me? kelly blue book says $5060 but...

I paid $4600 for the bike, and it was an UNREAL find with only 1400 miles on it (!) I've come to love that thing. it's a '99 so it's got no tach and no crappy rear drink tray - I don't want a new bike.

I'm a little out of my zone of experience on this one.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

If thery call you and tell you they want to total it make sure to ask them how much you are over that is causing it to be totaled.

Like I said, mine was a header away from being totaled. I didn't want to deal with the whole "total" thing so I said LEAVE the header. At some point I'll get them coated anway, so who cares.

I think you'll be fine dude, just stay on top of her Ins company. And stock used replacement parts are pretty cheap, if that's the difference in totaling your bike and not totaling it then tell them to NOT get you the parts and you'll get them yourself.

Make sure to post here when things go down to get advice as well.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

Totaling means, as far as I understand it, that the cost of fixing your bike is MORE than your bike is worth. That Monster tank is an EXPENSIVE piece and combined with a factory replacement here and there + labor and you can get close REAL quick.

If they want to total it you can let them, and then buy it back for cheap. But then you have a salvage title that, depending on who you talk to, is ok or not. I don't think INsurance companies like Salvage titles. Thing is you know the damage to your bike is MINIMAL, and if you can let them total it and buy it back SUPER CHEAP you may come out REAL NICE. Say they total your bike and give you a check for $4500. You offer to buy it back for $2500. That gives you 2K to get it repaired with CHEAP stock stuff, or kick ass aftermarket parts and have a much more kick ass bike than BEFORE you dropped it.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

this keeps getting better by the second...

got two voicemails this afternoon-
one from her:
"hey, how much is the damage? can we not claim this on insurance, I have a $1000 deductable. my mom will pay you out of pocket."

that's odd, I thought... why would she not want to claim it now...

message two: (from my roommate)
"hey ray, just thought you might get a chuckle out of the fact that "bimbolina" just nailed the passat parked where your bike was"

ah, first message kinda makes sense now...

heh.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

got the estimate today...

$2,516!

bet she wishes she had a smaller deductable...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

for a duc, $2500 sounds cheap. i paid $6000 to put
a jap rocket back in shape after a high side .... i
couldn't stand to simply "throw it out" since
everything from the head tube back was fine.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

everythings cool, the ins company's coming thru, and the check (as the saying goes) is in the mail.

repairs should commence this week. - hooray! ;D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

cut the check to BHD yesterday morning! repairs are underway! ;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts