Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed the Arrow full system with carbon fiber cans on my S4R. I also removed all the CA emissions stuff.

The bike sounds insane!!! If anyone can host a short vid, I'll be happy to post a vid of the bike with the new pipes for all to hear.

Bad news is: the bike dies with abrupt throttle input from idle (like leaving a red light). Also, this may or may not be bad news, but i've got flames shooting out from my pipes when decelerating in 2nd gear! Must be some unused gas exploding in the exhust pipe.

I'll probably have to get the computer remapped to get the bike running perfectly, but if any of you had a similar problem, please let me know.

BTW, I think Ducati really meant to name it "wheelie monster" instead of just Monster. I can wheelie this thing easier than any other bike I've owned!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Hmm... sounds like you need to fix that air/fuel ratio, alittle rich one would say...

But flames are cool!!! ;D

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Well...your ECU is not remappable. Installing a PCIII is a popular method of gaining adjustment to the mixture. FIM has a more comprehensive solution available, but there are only a few shops in the US that can map it. A dealer or shop with a Mathesis Tester can adjust the 'trim' on the stock ECU, but the adjustment range is limited.

I suspect that the stock S4R pipes are more restrictive than the other Monster cans, so I'm not surprised you now have what seems to be a big lean spot just off-idle. Especially since you installed a full system. Ducs are generally delivered quite lean to begin with...

Occasionally, my S4 will 'lay down' like you're describing, I've concluded it's the case of opening the throttle just after the ECU decided how much fuel to squirt in, thus making the mixture lean for a cycle or two. At 1200 rpm, each cylinder is firing every 1/10th of a second, so poor timing of opening the throttle is possible.

Sometimes I'll give the throttle a little blip, then open it more gradually as I feed out the clutch. More seat time on your new ride will help too.....as will more miles on the motor.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well...your ECU is not remappable. Installing a PCIII is a popular method of gaining adjustment to the mixture. FIM has a more comprehensive solution available, but there are only a few shops in the US that can map it. A dealer or shop with a Mathesis Tester can adjust the 'trim' on the stock ECU, but the adjustment range is limited.

I suspect that the stock S4R pipes are more restrictive than the other Monster cans, so I'm not surprised you now have what seems to be a big lean spot just off-idle. Especially since you installed a full system. Ducs are generally delivered quite lean to begin with...

Occasionally, my S4 will 'lay down' like you're describing, I've concluded it's the case of opening the throttle just after the ECU decided how much fuel to squirt in, thus making the mixture lean for a cycle or two. At 1200 rpm, each cylinder is firing every 1/10th of a second, so poor timing of opening the throttle is possible.

Sometimes I'll give the throttle a little blip, then open it more gradually as I feed out the clutch. More seat time on your new ride will help too.....as will more miles on the motor.

Thanks for the input Speedog. I think that my only option would be either to get a new computer or a PCIII to play with the output. How much is a new puter going to run me?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW - I'm idling BELOW 1000. Perhaps I need to adjust my idle... but that doesnt address the flame issue.

S

·
0 Posts
hey sean,
if your stock exhaust system is destined to for-ever collect dust, i'd be interested in picking it up! "IM" me here or drop me a line at [email protected] if you're interested in pawning it off.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

Thanks for the input Speedog. I think that my only option would be either to get a new computer or a PCIII to play with the output. How much is a new puter going to run me?
IIRC, the FIM unit is about $700, plus the obligatory dyno mapping session, maybe $300.

The PCIII can be had for about $300, and a dyno mapping session for about $200. You can run the PCIII without the dyno mapping, but you don't get as much improvement out of it.

The FIM unit allows you to control more than just the mixture, you can adjust the ignition timing and other things too. Pay more and get more...

Get your idle up to 1000 or 1100, and that'll help a bit too with the stalling.

I kinda like the flames aspect, wish I could see 'em. ;D

·
Registered
221 Posts
i would PAY to have my bike do that!!!! AWSOME!!!! brrrrappp....WHOOSH!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nick - I cant seem to find the idle adjuster... is it hidden?

S4strati - I have no use for the stock exhaust anymore. Perhaps the only reason I may need it is if I get a noise tix. However, I cannot foresee this being a real issue. I'll let you know when you can pick it up.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
It's not really hidden, but it's hard to see.

It's on the front (horizontal cylinder) throttle body, on the right hand side. Pushes on the cable spool. You'll need a small 8mm open end wrench, I've got one out of set 'ignition wrenches' that can get in there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

It's on the front (horizontal cylinder) throttle body, on the right hand side. Pushes on the cable spool. You'll need a small 8mm open end wrench, I've got one out of set 'ignition wrenches' that can get in there.
Nick-- I owe you a couple beers!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Thanks, Sean. Looking forward to seeing you on a group ride soon!

Wanna join in on the Death Valley Adventure this weekend? Likely lots of beer there... ;D

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts

I know, it's how I've done it too, but using the "throttle stop screw" is NOT the recommended way to adjust your idle:

http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=17427

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Tom,
Thanks for the link.

Seeing as ( now that I've looked at it :-[ ):
A) The Service Manual says not to use the stop screw to adjust the idle speed, and more importantly,
B) Brad Black, who has surely forgotten more about Ducatis than I'll ever know, confirms the Manual's procedure...
We're kinda messing up the idle mixture by adjusting with the stop screw.

Well, I'm just going to live with it until my Duc gets to a dealer.

Sorry about the misdirection, Sean. My error.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Hmmm...I wonder if he has the sniffer too?

BTW, Tom, now you get a beer for that good idea. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts