Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was my 3rd ride on the new S4RS; I have had some idle/ flame out issues. That is, the bike dies suddenly then has trouble idling upon restart. Usually in stop/ start/ stop traffic. The bike seems to be running strong & pulls hard. Until it happens; but even once it refires, a couple of healthy blips clears it up. The bike has a K&N type filter (branded as Ducati Performance), a QD exhaust, & TPO airbox veolcity stacks. I have no clue if the previous owner reflashed the ECU. The air cleaner is not fillthy; just used. I have yet to check spark plugs. Any old gas the bike had in it is long gone. Do these bikes have fuel filters? And, has anyone else had similar issues? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Fuel filter is in the fuel tank. Do a Search on the forum for possible causes, or Google it. It stalls abruptly but starts right back up and runs fine ? Mine did that when I first got it but hasn’t done it lately. It seems like it was only until well warmed up.
Try cleaning the throttle body venturis. Sometimes a little ring of dirt can form down in there and affects air flow at idle. Run some SeaFoam through it regularly to keep your injection clean. I always do this and it’s probably why mine doesn’t stall much anymore. I also switched to Iridium plugs, though people say that makes no difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah it usually only does it when warm & even then only intermittently. Although on the test ride in FL & my maiden ride in Texas it was cold. Most.of the time it's when pulling in the clutch & shutting the throttle- just like another user's issue I searched. It takes 1 or 2 attempts to restart, then it's fine. I'll prioritize cleaning the venturis & the Sea Foam stuff. Fuel filter will be an easy add on when we coat the tank. Do you just spray the Sea Foam stuff in there or follow the instructions?

·
Registered
16 Posts
What kind of fuel mileage has it been getting? When I first got my bike it would stall when coming to a stop sometimes. Pull clutch in, stall, come to stop sign or stop light, restart, idles fine, leave stop or when light turns green. It was also getting horrendous fuel mileage at 25mpg. When I had a Desmo service done I had the tech look into it. He said the tune was really rich and causing it to foul out. He adjusted the fuel trims and I haven't had an issue since. Last ride before summer ended the bike was getting the more normal 40ish mpg. That might be something to look into. I plan to get a full dyno tune at some point maybe this coming summer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I got 90-ish miles on a tank before the fuel light came on. Spirited riding, to put it lightly. But I think that's worth looking into. I'm gonna clean the air filter & swap plugs this weekend along with the above recommendation of wiping the venturis.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I used Gumout spray on the throttle bodies, and Q-tip type sticks but longer. The Seafoam goes in the tank to keep the injectors clean. There seems to be a recommendation to open up the plug gaps with Iridium plugs for best results. I modified the air box lid and added the BMC air filter after the stalling was occurring. Maybe it leaned the mixture a little.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think I got 90-ish miles on a tank before the fuel light came on. Spirited riding, to put it lightly. But I think that's worth looking into. I'm gonna clean the air filter & swap plugs this weekend along with the above recommendation of wiping the venturis.
90ish is pretty normal. Mine was coming on at around 60 miles, lol.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You mentioned in previous posts, last owner hadn't ridden bike in a while, First thing I would do is put in a new set of spark plugs, they can get internal corrosion due to long periods of sitting, that leads to 'fouling' when hot.
Also check leads are tight, whenever changing spark plugs, I usually unscrew leads from coils and plug caps and trim a bit, then screw back on. I sometimes see the ends of leads some green corrosion, not always but they can loosen.

Then move on to fuel filter etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts