Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
202 Posts
Just wire a pair or ceramic power resisters 20 watt 8 ohm in parallel. A few bucks from RadioShack. I safety wired them to an aluminum brackets and riveted to the battery box.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
That's not programming, that's adding load to trick the system. I've got my LEDs wired up with resistors already.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
342 Posts
Later models have the facilty to program the circuit for LED's or incandescent.
So just to be clear you are saying the newer Monsters (696/796/1100) DO NOT have flasher relays that can be swapped out like the older monsters? I have a 2011 796 and am trying to avoid running resistors for my LED indicators if possible. Can you clarify please.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
So just to be clear you are saying the newer Monsters (696/796/1100) DO NOT have flasher relays that can be swapped out like the older monsters? I have a 2011 796 and am trying to avoid running resistors for my LED indicators if possible. Can you clarify please.
Yes, flashers were integrated around 2004.
Incidently, I measured the temperature of resistors during operation, after 2 minutes of operation there was barely 1 degree increase.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yes, flashers were integrated around 2004.
Incidently, I measured the temperature of resistors during operation, after 2 minutes of operation there was barely 1 degree increase.
I see. As an alternative to installing resistors you mentioned earlier in this thread you can have the dealer reprogram the ECU to accommodate LED indicators?? Is this common knowledge at dealers?

I'm installing Oberon LED bar ends indicators and finding a spot for the resistors is a pain; I'm thinking about stuffing them in the clipon bar themselves but not sure how much airflow those resistors need...

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, I observed this at my dealer when the very first streetfighter was delivered, they were scrolling thru the menues. I can see exactly how ir works by switching the reference circuitt

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, I observed this at my dealer when the very first streetfighter was delivered, they were scrolling thru the menues. I can see exactly how ir works by switching the reference circuitt
So this is done through some kind of Ducati diagnostic/programming software or this is something I can do myself? Why has no one else ever mentioned this?

·
Banned
202 Posts
Perhaps because they don't know, what I saw could be done by a user
If the flasher is integrated into the ecu there's no way a user could change it on 2012 796. The ecu is a sealed box with nothing but the connector exposed. It would have to be done through software as there's no dip switches or anything you can get too. Unless you can open up the ecu to get to the circuit board, I never paid much attention to it when installing the termi system but it looked sealed.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Take a look at the picture above the chip that does the flashing is mounted in the instrument panel circuit board. not the ECU.

Just like you can set the time by a sequence of button presses, the flasher can be set to either LED or incandescent. It caught my attention because at the time I was investigating in changing the reference circuit for the chip to allow LED operation.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I *think* the reprogramming is for later models. Mine is 2009 & doesn't have the facility, even in 'workshop' mode. However, I've fitted the LED units without resistors anyway, and while they are 'fast', its not really a problem.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a 2011 796 ABS so am very curious if mine is capable of this reprogram. I need to call the dealer to see if they know anything about this, if they do they'll probably charge an arm and a leg to do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all thanks for great info. But I am still lost in my 2009 696 monster. Where in the hell is turn relay? Can someone share a picture of relay I am trying to install led turn lights.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts