Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm fitting some LED indicators, and inevitably they flash too quickly (no resistors in the kit). Where is the flasher relay so I can replace with something compatible? Also, what is the pin arrangement?
Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
flasher relay location

Did any body answer this?

The flasher relay is a square looking thing located near the fuse box underneath your seat.

It is a 3 pin arrangement stock. I'm also trying to figure out what is the right arrangement to avoid having to use a resistor in the circuit.

Let me know if you've had any success.

Best,
Sam

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think this varies from the older bikes to the newer ones. When I installed my front blinkers they came with a small resister that just plugged in right to my wiring harness for the signals.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep, that's the standard way of correcting the fast-blink issue. I personally hate resistors because they cause some more heat than necessary. What I'm looking at doing tonight is identifying an LED blinker relay that will solve the issue without resistors. I found the source for the relay. Just need to nail down my pin-positions and I should be golden. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Yep, that's the standard way of correcting the fast-blink issue. I personally hate resistors because they cause some more heat than necessary. What I'm looking at doing tonight is identifying an LED blinker relay that will solve the issue without resistors. I found the source for the relay. Just need to nail down my pin-positions and I should be golden. I'll let you know how it goes.

What year and model.?

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine's 2009 1100S. Been led to understand though that the flash rate is controlled by the ECU?
S

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I've got a 15 dollar experiment teed up. Will let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK, good news, people. Ditch the resistors that may have came with your LED lamps. They draw a lot of power & generate a lot of heat. They're also a pain to locate attractively.

Instead, get yourself a flasher relay that is designed for LEDs as opposed to incandescent bulbs.

I searched around on the internet and this is the one you need for a ducati. Has the proper pin-positions and it's got the same dimensions as the stock unit. It was truly plug & play.

I ordered it 3 days ago, received it today, took 3 minutes to swap it in for the old one, and now I'm golden. Works like a charm.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...CF13GL-02.html

Reactions: mahtin

·
Registered
101 Posts
OK, good news, people. Ditch the resistors that may have came with your LED lamps. They draw a lot of power & generate a lot of heat. They're also a pain to locate attractively.

Um, how much power and how much heat? I generally don't run my blinkers continuously for hours on end.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tedder, valid point. Resistors do generate heat & sap power, but since we usually move without them, not a real issue. That said, it is a whole lot cleaner under the seat without the add'l wires & resistors under there. Much less in the way of wiring for those that don't like messing with it.

·
Banned
202 Posts
The resistors are there to replicate the load of the old bulbs. So unless you were worried about the power consumption and heat of you stock bulbs, stop worrying about the resistors.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Mine's 2009 1100S. Been led to understand though that the flash rate is controlled by the ECU?
S
Controlled by the circled device in the pic.
Note that this tiny thing handles the same current as would go through resistors.
Excess power is from the alternator is being 'sapped' all the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK, take heat & power off the table. Those points are very valid since the blinkers don't run constantly. Using the relay method looks way cleaner. Much easier to plug in a perfect match relay than it is to wire the resistors in and find a way to neatly secure them.

·
Banned
202 Posts
OK, take heat & power off the table. Those points are very valid since the blinkers don't run constantly. Using the relay method looks way cleaner. Much easier to plug in a perfect match relay than it is to wire the resistors in and find a way to neatly secure them.
I agree with you here that changing the relay is a lot cleaner. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure on my 2012 796 it's all handled by the ecu or something similar. If you can change the relay, go for it, there's just really no problems with the resistors (as long as they're the correct value and rating).

·
Registered
17 Posts
DM7, wish you luck with all that. Don't know anything about the new 2012. probably right though. My monster's a 2000, back when they used to use a bunch of analog stuff to make 'em go. It frankly surprises me that Ducati doesn't put LED signals in from the factory. Such a popular mod, you'd think they'd either do it themselves or make it easier to switch.

·
Banned
202 Posts
DM7, wish you luck with all that. Don't know anything about the new 2012. probably right though. My monster's a 2000, back when they used to use a bunch of analog stuff to make 'em go. It frankly surprises me that Ducati doesn't put LED signals in from the factory. Such a popular mod, you'd think they'd either do it themselves or make it easier to switch.
I'm guessing they don't provide LEDs from the factory so they can sell another accessory. I bought the DP led turn signals for the front and it came with load resistors. It all went on quickly and works very well, so I'd say they make it easy. I have an integrated taillight on the back that also came with load resistors.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just wire a pair or ceramic power resisters 20 watt 8 ohm in parallel. A few bucks from RadioShack. I safety wired them to an aluminum brackets and riveted to the battery box.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 20 of 36 Posts