Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put about 700 miles on this S4, wondering where the wheelie monster was hiding. I'd whacked it numerous times in first expecting it to jump to sky with no success. For some reason, I slid back on the seat a few inches today and that's all it took. Popped about four before I got home. :D

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
sweet!!

I cant pop a wheelie on my 750 by just giving it full throttle..... Any advice?

D

·
0 Posts
I think there is a FAQ about it.

I use the on/off throttle method to get some help from the front shocks.

Basically, I get to about 4k RPM, chop the throttle, and pop back on it. When you chop the throttle, the engine braking will cause the forks to compress, and you can use the rebound to help get the front end up while you are getting back on the gas.

I have never been on a sport bike this wouldn't work on, so just keep at it. And don't be afraid to really give it the gas, you will be surprised how much time you have to react if you get into to much throttle. Plus, the monsters have so much engine brake you really don't need to tap the rear brake to bring it back down if you get to high. Just let off the throttle

good luck with her.

H

·
0 Posts
Duc-Gasm, is that your driveway? I'd be draggin knee all the way to the house!!

R

·
0 Posts
Tell Brooke to pan with you as she shoots next time. You wilkl be sharp and the back ground will be streaked.

R

·
0 Posts
Complaining of cold? IN Alabama? What is it like 50 there? I am going to see if I can get a picture oro 2 from my step son. He shoots with me at the track. It should be nice today. Almost 40 degrees.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
56 and sunny in Birmingham yesterday. Going to 65 today! Guess I'll have to blow off work about 3:00 for a little more wheelie work.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I remember the first time my M900 came up on me. Was by accident. I was still running the 15t on the front too. My wife rides a Yamaha Virago 1000 and she was feeling spunky. She likes the pipes I put on it and was blasting from a stop sign. So I got on it, next thing I know the front is floating about a foot or so up, and I was leaning forward on the bike. Since the change to 14t it pops pretty easy, no need to chop and gun, just gun at say 3.5k to 4k and up it comes. First street bike I've ever had that would do that just from power. My HD would puke trying and my old 750 Honda was way to heavy and just spin the tire.

I would like to practice and learn to ride them a ways but learning could be expensive. I've done it on dirt bikes, but if you dump, so what.

R

·
0 Posts

My son took this one today. What a great day. 45 degrees. Tomorrow is going to be even nicer and I already have a sitter.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Quick comment, you don't need to chop the throttle on an S4 to pop a wheelie.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
What happens to the oil pickup when you do that for any distance though? when you have it up on the balance point, I have to believe it's starvin, there's now way that pump intake is still in good oil while hoisted. Poppin it up for shits and giggles is fun but I'd be leary of ridin one out. I mean, there's a reason the superbike engines are deep sump, that was just for acceleration, not wheelies.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Nice pictures guys. Nothing like a wheelie to get your blood pumping :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts