Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing my first valve check 2002 M620 ie, 12K miles. I just measured the opener and closer clearance on the vertical cylinder and everything seems to still be within spec. (opening clearance 0.00 - 0.20 mm closing clearance 0.05 - 0.15mm) Is this common? I was under the impression that things are usually off a little. Am i doing something wrong or am I just very lucky? I'm using Ducatisuite and a Haynes manual for reference. I'm going to measure the horizontal cylinder to see if it's the same.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK the Horizontal cylinder seems to be almost the same. closing clearance very tight, clearance on both openers is a little tighter than on the vertical cylinder, but still withing spec. is this normal?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Anything less than .003" on intake and .004" on exhaust for opening clearance is too tight IMO.
Where did the .00-20mm spec come from. .00mm is not clearance if you catch my drift.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Sounds like you got your specs opener-to-closer reversed. They used to insist on 0.0 on the closers, but they've backed off that a little. 0.1mm on the inlet opener, 0.15 on the exhaust is the spec from the good-old-days.
Might as well adjust them while you're there.

Doug

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
moperfserv said:
Sounds like you got your specs opener-to-closer reversed. They used to insist on 0.0 on the closers, but they've backed off that a little. 0.1mm on the inlet opener, 0.15 on the exhaust is the spec from the good-old-days.
Might as well adjust them while you're there.

Doug
Uhh...............listen to him. He knows what he's talking about.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right, I had those reversed. all of my closing clearances were too tight to get my smallest feeler gauge into (it's .05), and my opening clearances were within spec but were close to too tight. Tomorrow I plan to adjust them to .1 opener and .15 exhaust - these are the correct specs right?
Thanks for the help
Kit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts