Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first post here. I'm a complete newb at bikes cept for the few times i rode my friends CBR F3 a few years back, so i have next to no rideing experience. I was talking with that same friend several months back and said i was interested in getting a bike, but i wanted something that was not some bright, plastic covered crotch rocket, but not a cruiser. Something with some style. He immediately said the Monster. I looked it up and it is exactly what i had pictured in my mind! Anyway i'm a pretty cheap guy and and generally shoot for the lowest price model i can get (hell i drive a 4-cylider Dakota). I finally went to a dealership to see the bikes and get some price quotes. I asked the guy if there was a big difference between the 620 and 800. He didn't sugar cote it at all, he just said "yes". He said he's had a lot of guys that are new to rideing and get the 620 only to come back a few months later and trade in or wish they had gone for the 800. But that was a salesman and perhaps he's just trying to make a bigger sale, so i figure you all would have real advice. So, knowing im new to rideing and that im not a huge spead freak, do you think it's worth the extra $$ to get the 800? How big is the difference?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
620 should be fine. They say that although it is not as powerful, it has a suprisingly similar amount of horsepower. I remember the salesman telling me the same thing about how I would be back. So I bought the 750 (in 2002), but then I went home and looked up the numbers and found that it only had like 4 more horsepower than the 620!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Gday
I think that if you have not much experiance on a bike , then the 620 will be great to too much power but enough to have fun & get some experience. Once you have the 620 for a year or 2, you will be a much better rider.

Then by an S4R!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think u will have lots of fun on the 620.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I as well am new to the street and I went with the 620.....

I know that there are bikes that are very much faster but for me the 620 is plenty of power.......Im still in the break in period so even at about 5,500 rpm on a straight road can take me to ridiculous speeds, can't imagine it at 8,000!! I only wieght about 145 so the thing just goes and I have to actually roll off it alittle just to keep things within my limits.....LOTS OF POWER!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D I love it, you will too

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I'm an experienced rider who rides my wife's 620 Monster from time to time. This weekend by circumstance I ended up in the lead of a pack of sport bikes riding the local twisties. I felt like the 620 handled itself very nicely. I was able to pass cages and keep the Ninjas and CBR's off my tail. In fact I was cutting apexs with the best of the squids. I felt like the 620 was riding at the same level as my VFR 800.

Another issue is new vs used. If you are new to riding I would advise you to start off with a used bike. Pretty much everyone drops their bike at some point in their careers (usually in the beginning). If you have a new bike you don't want to deal with crash damage on top of the depreciation. Unfortunately my wife dropped her new bike yesterday (mirrors gone, dimple in gas tank).

Instead of 620 vs 800 you could look at 600 vs 750 for the pre-02 bikes. You could also find leftovers more reasonable. The 750 might give you that extra power you'd like once you get used to the 620.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Heh, I go about 145lbs too, so don't think I'd slow down a bike too much. I should also look around and see if there are any leftovers from 02 or something, it's just there are not Italian bike dealers in every town ya know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts