Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife want s to learn to ride?

Well she likes the look of old school one headlight handlebars back cummmmfffy feel.

any sugestions?

AND CHEAP PLEASE

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Seems to be the honda magna has some backing here ::)
Razzo where are ya? [laugh] [laugh]

·
Registered
5 Posts
cheap= give her your bike to learn :-*

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Search eBay for a Honda Shadow. Cheap and low seat height. Readily available parts. Good learning bike.

Or a Kawasaki EX500 if she wants to be sporty. This one is even purple and the auction has no reserve.

Plenty of ways to skin this cat.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
1st thing's 1st, before she even thinks about what bike to get, tell her to take an MSF course.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My 2005 GS500 is for sale. 3,600 miles, never been down, a few minor modifications, a super comfy riding position. Its a very popular female bike.

$3,400

Show your wife, see what she thinks!

-Danimal

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Danimal said:
My 2005 GS500 is for sale. 3,600 miles, never been down, a few minor modifications, a super comfy riding position. Its a very popular female bike.

$3,400

Show your wife, see what she thinks!

-Danimal
That seems to be a fine deal on a fine 1st bike.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
My wife rode on a GS for a couple of years before getting her R6. Now I'd like to convince her that she's outgrown the R6 in favor of oh... I don't know... a Sport Classic 1000 (no hidden motives there, eh?)
I've known other women who have very much liked to learn on the baby Ninjas for their low displacement and low seat height while still looking kind of 'sportbike'. Don't neglect the emotion part of her selection as she'll enjoy the idea of riding a lot more if it's more fun and less utility. Congrats though... not everybody gets to say their wife wants to ride.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Many of the training courses use the Buell Blast--my local Harley shop uses them for their course then sells some of the training bikes for cheap. It is lightweight, easy to handle, and very inexpensive. You can find a used one in great condition for 3K--I guarantee you'll find one in your area if you look.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
christianweisser said:
Many of the training courses use the Buell Blast--my local Harley shop uses them for their course then sells some of the training bikes for cheap. It is lightweight, easy to handle, and very inexpensive. You can find a used one in great condition for 3K--I guarantee you'll find one in your area if you look.
boo that bike!!!

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
madmax178 said:
I agree, give her your bike and get a new one
+1 Any wife that wants to learn deserves to be treated with something nice :)

The Virago looks old school, comfy and is cheap but it's small displacement though (would be good for a starter).

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
DO NOT PURCHASE A BUELL BLAST!!!!! They are poorly manufactured garbage. I could tell you stories, and not just mine! I've always loved the Suzi GS500. It's a great lookin' bike, theres a billion of 'em and they can handle. If not a Monster 695/secondhand 620, I'd look for one of those. I've always disliked the look of the beginner Ninjas. People keep the Suzi GS500 but everybody is desperate to dump their beginner Ninjas. Perhaps that's why there's plenty immaculate ones everywhere. Red Baron was implying I recommend my '82 Honda Magna as a starter bike, but I won't. First of all you'd do well to start her sporty and then learn to cruise. Also cruisers are much heavier bikes with vastly inferior handling. If/when yer girl decides she's no canyonista, then let her trade to a cruiser. If she does insist on a cruiser, get a small old rice cruiser like the V30 (600CC?) Honda Magna. Old Japanese bike are bulletproof, plus you can get an IMMACULATE one for two grand.

My two bits,

-Dan

P.S. Nighthawks are sweet bikes too!

·
Registered
56 Posts
christianweisser said:
Many of the training courses use the Buell Blast. It is lightweight, easy to handle, and very inexpensive.
And butt ugly!

Razzo Bolognese said:
First of all you'd do well to start her sporty and then learn to cruise.
I'm not so sure. I remember getting on my learner cruiser soon after I got my monster and it was so much easier to ride. Sure, it doesn't handle, but any beginner is nuts to try to attack the twisties. I felt like I was riding an old Schwinn bicycle with pretty pink streamers on the handlebars. I don't know if the riding position and power of a sport bike is a good thing for beginners, but I am barely out of that stage myself, so what do I know...

·
Registered
294 Posts
I bought my wife a Kawasaki EX250. It may not have a whole lot of curb appeal, but it is a blast to ride, and cheap (55-75 mpg with a 5 gallon tank). $2,999 MSRP, brand new. I picked up a used one from a buddy of mine for $1,000.

Any of the bikes already mentioned are great, too.

-Ryan

1 - 20 of 41 Posts