Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys n gals,

I'll be doing my first track day on 7th December and I have a question about track rubber.. it's probably a stale topic by now but here goes..

I'm looking for tires that are sticky, warm up quick and don't just suddenly "let go". I have used the following on street bikes:

Michelin Pilot Sport - took a while to warm up and gripped ok
Pirelli Diablo Corsa - warmed up quick and were good in the wet but I never knew where the limit was
Bridgestone BT014 - warmed up quick, gave reasonable feedback, wore out double quick and slithered a bit when really pushing the bike
Dunlop GP 208RR - warm up quick, great grip, they don't "let go" all of a sudden, last a very long time, haven't pushed them to their (my) limit

I've read bad feedback on older Dunlop tires so I don't know what to go by. I know that many people swear by Michelin Pilot Race or Pilot 2CT.. but never have used them so don't know what they are like on track.

My riding style is very agressive and I put a lot of weight on the front of the bike (225lbs weight).. in corners I tend to lean more onto the knee puck rather than using it just for reference. I tend to accelerate just after the apex when leant over and I brake very hard, very late.

Do you think my Dunlops will put up with that sort of abuse?

Any ideas are welcome.

Regards,
NuTTs

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can't say for sure - but in the end, you have to trust the tyres. If you feel most confident on the Dunlops then that's what you should go with.

Besides, changing the tyres for the trackday will have you contending with different profiles and different feedback - not a very good idea if it's your first time at the track. You'll want to focus more on lines and being smooth etc.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
ask lucazuma - seems that the pilot power 2CT are excellent.

the riding style you are describing sounds like you've been to the track...but you said this will be your first track day? if you're riding that aggressively on the street (stop it!), whatever's gotten you this far is what you should use. =)

G

·
Michelin Pilot Power (or CT) should do the trick for you. Versatile enough for both street and occasional track day use. Small piece of advise...don't go ballz out on any tire during your first lap or two. I run Power Race (medium/soft) on my track bike and I learned the hard way to let them warm up with at the VERY least 1.5 laps.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the help guys.. I'll stick it out with some new Dunlops on the first track day and see how it goes.. just ordered them as it goes. I'll remember to warm up and take it easy the first 2 laps.
gm2 said:
ask lucazuma - seems that the pilot power 2CT are excellent.

the riding style you are describing sounds like you've been to the track...but you said this will be your first track day? if you're riding that aggressively on the street (stop it!), whatever's gotten you this far is what you should use. =)
I'm going into track riding as I seem to be riding a bit too hard on the roads and I am getting bored as my sunday rides are getting a bit ho-hum and I'd like to push the bike a bit further.

Thanks again,
NuTTs

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Dunlop 208GP front, GP-A rear combo will stick like white on rice. Not to be confused with the older 208 road tires. The GPs are more of a track tire than a street tire. They are not high mileage tires by any stretch of the imagination but while they last they are incredible. Take them to the track, go after it then use em up on the street. For the track try 30lbs front, 28 rear. Street 31lbs front, 30lbs rear.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
K said:
The Dunlop 208GP front, GP-A rear combo will stick like white on rice. Not to be confused with the older 208 road tires. The GPs are more of a track tire than a street tire. They are not high mileage tires by any stretch of the imagination but while they last they are incredible. Take them to the track, go after it then use em up on the street. For the track try 30lbs front, 28 rear. Street 31lbs front, 30lbs rear.
Thanks, will look into it!

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
I would really advise against using tires like 208GPAs or Pilot Race on the street. They are track tires, and it's nearly impossible to get them warmed up on the street. I've had some scary slides running 208GPAs on the street after using them at the track.

Also, dunno 'bout where you are Nutts, but the 208s here have been largely replaced by the 209s.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spidey said:
I would really advise against using tires like 208GPAs or Pilot Race on the street. They are track tires, and it's nearly impossible to get them warmed up on the street. I've had some scary slides running 208GPAs on the street after using them at the track.

Also, dunno 'bout where you are Nutts, but the 208s here have been largely replaced by the 209s.
Hi Spidey, thanks for the info. I´m based in Madrid, Spain where winters are cold and sometimes wet.. temperatures range from -10 degrees C to 5 degrees C in winter, summers are HOT ranging from 35 degrees C to 48 degrees C and hotter. I´ve actually had similar advice about the GPA rubber and street usage.

Regarding the 209s, I´ve had varying opinions from people I know running these. The 208RR for the type of asphalt and temp. that we have in Spain are supposed to be very very good. I just wanted something a bit better. There is always the Dunlop Qualifier route if my dealer can´t source the 208RRs.

I guess it´s gonna be a trial and error session the first time out on a track. If I were rich, I would but another set of rims with different rubber to try out on the same track day but alas, it won´t be happening anytime soon.

I´m gonna trust my 208RR that I like so much for street use and lets see how they perfrom on track!

Regards,
NuTTs

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
[thumbsup] for qualifiers, really well balanced tire for aggressive street ridin' and track use,
also Motorcyclist gave them "tire of the year" title, think of it
my $ 0.02

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
greg mo said:
[thumbsup] for qualifiers, really well balanced tire for aggressive street ridin' and track use,
also Motorcyclist gave them "tire of the year" title, think of it
my $ 0.02
Cheers, i might just give ´em a try as they are more modern than mine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just had my first track day... yeehah!! Did it on crappy old Shinko's which were on the bike when I got it. They warmed up quick (I let a couple of extra pounds out) but still let go all over the place. Brnad new track in Taupo, New Zealand so the surface was trustworthy. Blooody good fun though.

Like you< i can't afford to run two rims, so have decided to go with the Pirelli Diablo's when I've worn these out. Have been told that they have a firm rubber centre for the majority of my road use, and soft edges for the track.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
elpato said:
Which track are you riding?
I'll be riding Cheste in Valencia (where the last Moto GP race of the season took place)

sjjkennedy said:
I just had my first track day... yeehah!! Did it on crappy old Shinko's which were on the bike when I got it. They warmed up quick (I let a couple of extra pounds out) but still let go all over the place. Brnad new track in Taupo, New Zealand so the surface was trustworthy. Blooody good fun though.

Like you< i can't afford to run two rims, so have decided to go with the Pirelli Diablo's when I've worn these out. Have been told that they have a firm rubber centre for the majority of my road use, and soft edges for the track.
I like the Diablos but the wear out waay to quick.. where is Taupo? I have a friend in Hamilton who we may be visiting soon - I'd like to take a bike tour of the North Island as it's supposed to be spectacular

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah NuTTs, I've been there to Cheste, real tight track. I would definately go for something very soft and not street related as you will want all the grip you can get there in turn three. Have fun and I miss Spain. My wife is from Sant Cugat in Barcelona. We close on a house there soon so I'll be back in a few years. People here in the states just don't get what its like to ride on a GP track. So much better than anything here in the states. Have fun you lucky SOB.

Rich

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
elpato said:
Yeah NuTTs, I've been there to Cheste, real tight track. I would definately go for something very soft and not street related as you will want all the grip you can get there in turn three. Have fun and I miss Spain. My wife is from Sant Cugat in Barcelona. We close on a house there soon so I'll be back in a few years. People here in the states just don't get what its like to ride on a GP track. So much better than anything here in the states. Have fun you lucky SOB.

Rich
Thanks for the advice Rich! I´m decided on the GP208RR rubber and so are friends with track experience (SBK owners). I checked the Qualifiers and the 208RR side by side and I see the 208RR is a much more track focused.

I´m getting a transponder for the day so we´ll see how I progress also.. hopefully there will be someone taking pics and maybe a video too, I hope to be borrowing a camcorder mount for a track session too!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts