Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my first tank slapper yesterday and if it had not been for this board I would have busted my ass, even died. All of the "instruction" from you guys allowed me to coast out of it.This was not even in the twisties but on the interstate on the way back!!!!!!!!
Meanwhile the GP event at Motoeuro (New Orleans Ducati dealer) was nice and you guys would have been really proud of the monsters on our hard twisty ride around the bayous of Louisiana. Turns at 80, straightaways 130!!! awesome. There was even a '04 749r ($28,000 and beautifal!!) out there and 2 999s and none could really leave us. It easy to go fast in a straight line but it takes a " ride or die" kind of person to make the bike perform. I was sooo proud of my monster because it did not let me down. It ran superb.
Also the guys with the superbikes were awesome. None of that eliteist crap that people talk about. We watched the GP races ate pizza and talked ****. How could a Sunday be better!!!

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Do you have a damper? I assume not but I don't know. If not are you going to get one now?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We werent talking "nuts" , I used a bad word. Dont want to give you guys the wrong idea! Anyway I dont have a damper. From this site I have read that a damper doesnt really help. Has anyone ever had a slapper with a damper?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
care to fill me in on how to ride out a tank slapper?? I'm scared to death of getting myself into that situation. (steering damper is next on my wishlist)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
if it was an honest-to-god head shake (rapid oscillation
of the front ent) this is precisely what dampers are
designed to prevent. do yourself a favor and invest in one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thread for tank slappers is much better than what I can say but in a nutshell dont brake dont get nervous and stiff and let the bike calm down. But really go to the thread and read all of the great stories!!

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
PEDS_DOC, you can go back and "Modify" your original post to fix the words that the automatic censor doesn't like, such as using "$" for "s", and "!" for "i".

I don't know where you got the information in your second post about a damper not helping. I would still be riding a Monster instead of an ST2 if I had had a damper when I went over the killer cattle guard last October. Someday I'll own another Monster and I'll for sure put a steering damper on it.

You can ride out some serious wobble if you are able to let the bike calm down, but if your bars are going lock to lock and the bike is at high speed, there's probably nothing you can do. When it happened to me I had just enough time to think "Oh no! I'm going to crash". Next thing I knew I was getting up off of the road trying to figure out where my bike had slid off to.

If one of you curious people does a proper search and finds the other steering damper threads, please post links here for everyone else who is interested.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I inherited a damper when I bought my pre-owned m900, so I don't know what it's like to ride without it, but in 30,000km I've never experienced a slapper on this bike.

·
Registered
75 Posts
PEDS_DOC,

I experienced a tank slapper with the bars going lock to lock. Terrifying experience but I did'nt panic and got through it. I then promptly ordered a steering dampner, and wow it was like a new bike. I remember going over every bump I could find to test it, and no wobbles and very stable. It made a huge difference on my bike, and it does alot for your confidence. From my personal experience, I would recommend a steering dampner. I got the ohlins which is pricy but there may be other good dampners out there to choose from.

ciao

Missy

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
I got an ExtremeTech damper after witnessing the aftermath of Scott's crash. The distance from the end of the cattle guard to where the skid started was maybe 30 feet, and I don't think anyone could have ridden that out. Mostly I leave the damper set on the middle setting and don't really notice it much in day to day riding.

G

·
So what's causing the monster to be prone to tank slappers? Is it the geometry or the weight distribution? (both?)

I guess I'll start pricing steering dampers... geez, when they say Ducatis are expensive, it doesn't stop at the price tag of the bike... I guess I was hoping the engineering would be more sound out of the box.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I do not think Monster are any more "prone" to tank slappers that any other bike.

I might be wrong.

Anyway, I never felt anything like it on mine.

Anyway I am thinking of getting one.

It is like the slipper clutch, makes sense to have if...

Skier

·
Registered
472 Posts
This is sounding like a group buy on steering dampers???

I have an Ohlins factory connection for those 4 wheel thingy's. If I find anything interesting, I will put a post up.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I agree that the Monster isn't more prone to tank slappers than other bikes. I just did a track day on a track with a number of transitions in and out of a NASCAR oval. All of those transitions are made with the bike heeled over. No hints of tank slapping. Not at all convinced that it's the bike, rather than rider input or pavement conditions.

I do not think Monster are any more "prone" to tank slappers that any other bike.

I might be wrong.

Anyway, I never felt anything like it on mine.

Anyway I am thinking of getting one.

It is like the slipper clutch, makes sense to have if...

Skier

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
So just so I understand: A "tank slapper" is when the handlebars vibrate out of control? And a steering damper is designed specifically to stop this from happening?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts