Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my first ride in today on the new S2R 800. Actually first street ride in 6 years (since THE accident). I bought the S2R sight unseen and unridden and it sat in my garage the past week while I attended to family stuff. So this was my first time on it.

Initial impressions:

d**n it takes a long time to warm up on a cool day. I was beginning to think my engine temp sensor was buggered.

Fun bike, like the motor, loooooooove the gearbox, really, really nice clutch. Actually like the stock sound.

Wow is that suspension soft and lively, front and back. Gonna have to do something about that before I'll have the confidence to really ride this thing hard. I was coming to terms with it a bit by the end of the ride, but it's definately more alive than my previous bikes. In a way it's a nice change.

This bike likes either hard lean or no lean, not in between. The rake on this bike doesn't like non-commitment and doesn't permit you to ease in and out of things like my previous sportbikes did. I realized that once I fully committed, it turned and leaned very nicely indeed. Felt like I could have put it right down to knee dragging lean if I had confidence in the front end and the tires (which weren't scrubbed yet). Gonna be a fun bike.

Brakes really do $uck, don't they?

Neutral on a running Ducati still is a myth isn't it? Not as bad as on previous Ducs I've ridden, but still had my trouble from time to time finding neutral. Or even 1st for that matter. I assume it'll loosen up in time.

Overall I'm thinking this bike is gonna be big fun once I get it out of break in, sort the suspension a bit and get some super stickies on those rims.

I know TPIWWP, but I need to give it a nice cleaning tomorrow before I snap a pic.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
What tires does it have?

I'm partial to my Diablos as it's pretty neutral on turn-in.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speeddog said:
What tires does it have?

I'm partial to my Diablos as it's pretty neutral on turn-in.
It's got the Battlesnatches. They'll go quick. Always been partial to Dunlops, but need to check diameters to see how they'll work on this bike. Alternatively, Michelins, but I never liked how long it took the Pilot Race to heat up. Maybe they've changed in the last 6-7 years since I've ridden.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts