Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just got my (new to me - 1800 mile) monster on the road today and went for my first ride - only around town and a little bit on PCH, so I thought I'd share my first impressions. Please keep in mind that my recent riding has all been on Classic bikes from a 1939 250 BSA to a CBX Honda. This is by far the most modern bike I own.

I was right away impressed with the shere torque of the bike. If this is the "Girls Monster" then I'm a girl! It pulls in the mid range like nothing else I've riden, better even than the 1000cc 6 cylinder CBX (probably to do with the weight!). The bike is very nimble and right away inspired me with confidence. It sounds great! (Termis!) almost threatening! I find the bike very comfortable although I haven't ridden it for very long yet, but the general positioning of everything seems just right - I'm 5'-10" 190Lbs.

I am a little surprised how choppy the bike is at low revs, like below 4K it judders like my Triumph Bonneville! Any thing that can smooth out the bottom end? I also find the low RPM throttle uptake to be very abrupt, almost snatching. I probably has something to do with the chain being a little bit too lose, but it just doest seem to go from 0% throttle to 10% very nicely at all. It make riding around town less that a complete pleasure. I have read about the slow throttle twist grip; might this help? Where can one be bought?

Overall I have to say that I think "this is the start of a bueatiful relationship" and I look forward to riding this bike for years to come.

Pictures coming soon - I promise!

Ian
San Clemente, CA

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't think you'll find much to smooth out the bottom end. They just ride like that. You can change sprockets and see if that scratches the itch. A common complaint is that monsters are snatchy at low RPMs. Revving it a little higher in just first gear will help.

But yeah they are a blast!!

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
Like most Italian things, it works better if you ride/drive it like you mean it. You don't have to be aggro and always screaming around, but it rewards a firm hand and an assertive manner. Everything Italian, from vintage Vespas to Alfa Romeos, that I have encountered is pretty much like that to some degree. My wife had a 1964 Alfa sedan that had been amateur raced for a number of years by previous owners, and it was very much like that -- great to drive if you are really driving, and just miserable loafing around.

PhilB

·
Registered
14 Posts
with the "in crowd"

Welcome to the Monster Brotherhood, Ian! (Yeah, Sisters too)

Double up your miles on your new ride and youll find things will smooth out a bit more. An inch of chain slack will do ya.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I don't think you'll find much to smooth out the bottom end. They just ride like that. You can change sprockets and see if that scratches the itch. A common complaint is that monsters are snatchy at low RPMs. Revving it a little higher in just first gear will help.

But yeah they are a blast!!
There's a good thread lurking around here about lugging it at low RPMs. It's just the nature of the bike and there are mechanisms that can help you "cope" with it. Some recommend going one sprocket down in the front or one sprocket up in the back, some recommend a throttle tamer (G2), some have done both. If you're willing to sacrifice some top speed (say taking it down from 150-ish to 130-ish) then the two mods above will greatly improve the Monster's low-rev smoothness. Generally speaking, though, she still likes to be in the 3k+ range in most gears.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The smaller tooth up front is both cheap and simple and improves the bike's responsiveness at slower speeds.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The person I bought my s2r 1000 from changed the front sprocket and it made it more manageable around town. I'll probably never change back unless I decided to track it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I felt the same snatchiness too, Ianashdown, when first bought mine. A smaller front sprocket (-1 tooth) from stock (14t?) helped quite a bit. So did time on the bike, getting used to the throttle response and training my hand.

+1 on the riding a Monster with intent. It's the nature of the beast. Don't pussyfoot around and it'll reward you with a smooth, thrilling ride.

BTW, the Termignoni system didn't help, once I switched over either. It was a bit smoother, I thought, with all stock air filter/ECU/mufflers. It breathes much more freely with the high-flow air filter and muffler inserts removed which, I imagine, could add to the poor runability at sub 4,000RPM's. I often wonder if either installing a conventional air filter and/or modifying the muffler inserts to create a bit of back pressure would improve this?

Oh, and yes, a loose chain will feel more snatchy than a properly tightened one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So did time on the bike, getting used to the throttle response and training my hand.
That's a biggie. As with any bike, there's a learning curve you must get past before your muscle memory gets a hold of the smoothest method of shifting and cruising. It took me a hundred miles of city driving before the thought of shifting truly disappeared into my subconscious and became an automatic function. Now, the only time shifting and low RPM cruising is awkward is when I'm actually thinking about it. My muscles are better when I stay out of the equation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The surging at low rpms is a emissions/tune issue. They set them up super lean in closed loop aka below 4,500rpms and thus the shitty running at those low rpms.

Best way to get rid of it, is a tune from one of the companies that can actually handle tuning these bikes. Only a few have finally found out how to properly tune these bikes. Things like a Power Commander only tune in the open loop mode aka above 4,500rpms. Rexxer and there supporting dealers can help you. I believe one of the best currently is desmoworks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Had the same "snatchy" issues at low RPM (especially from a standing start) when I first got my M796 last year.

Once you have proper tension on the chain...

A 14 tooth front sprocket, PLUS, a G2 throttle tamer made a huge difference.
(the cheap plastic stock throttle insert / cam is not the greatest)

Have since ditched the G2 tamer for Rizoma grips, which come with their own inserts, and they work even better than the G2.

You can get the soft 500 cam or the slightly more aggressive 300 cam for the G2 (recommend the latter).

FWIW / YMMV

·
Registered
201 Posts
g2 and a 14t. it makes a world of difference. i have an m1100, and it feels more controlled at low rpms, than a 696 stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts