Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi My name is nick,

I am new to this board, I just recently asked my local dealer to get a hold of a Black On Black 695. I think the bike is beautiful. but some of my friends have bad opinions about monsters, they say its underpowered, has bad reliability, strange handling quirks, the also say that I will get tired of the bike quickly. They're all pro Suzuki, and say i should get an sv650 or gsxr600, personally these bikes do nothing for me, and appear void of personality. you guys know about Ducati's better than they do, is there any thing about the 695 I should know, also i wanted to know about a windshield, i read in the FAQs about a woman who tours long distance. i really like the windshield on her bike, she mentioned that the windshield was from a "city" version of the monster and i wanted to know where i could get one.

Thanks, Nick

·
Registered
157 Posts
Welcome

I had a gixr750 1000rr and now monster s2r1000 I wish i bought the monster first, my friend had a sv 1000 and i convinced him to the s4r now he wishes the same, you can not compare the two.
you are comparing a ferrari to a Integra

Start out right get the monster

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the SV650-I own one in addition to my Duc. It's a perfectly good motorcycle that does many things very, very well.

Motorcycles are inherently emotional purchases. You mentioned that Suzukis do nothing for--you should listen to your gut on this one. If you don't have an emotional response to the Suzuki you should not buy one. If the Duc speaks to you then you won't be happy until you have one.

I still find it interesting how so many riders have opinions on Ducatis when they have never personally owned one :-\. I would never spew my opinion on the reliability of Aston Martins because I have never owned one.

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Buy what you want if the dealer is steering you another direction, what happens when you need service? Try to find a dealer who will satisfy your needs not their own agenda of selling more Suzuki units to better their allotment or discount. I've heard nothing but good things and the demo 695 I rode was great. Good luck and welcome to the board whatever you choose. [thumbsup]

Location?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I have no FHE with the 695. I've had several bikes and liked them all.....GSXR1K, HondaVFR, and now my S2R800. I really love my S2R.

You have to go with what you like and how it fits into your lifestyle. I'm 41 and the other bikes were just wearing me down. On the Suzuki I would be beat after an hour ride. My Neck, back, and wrist pain caused me to sell that bike. Another thing is $$. Can you afford to maintain a Ducati? Not that the services are outrageous...its just that they tend to run a little more money than the Japanese bikes.

The SV you mentioned is really a great bike. A good friend I ride with has one....cheap to maintain and a fun ride.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
If you think youll get any type of 'Buyers Remorse" dont worry, it wont be there. When I was looking at bikes I sat on an SV and just didnt 'feel' anything from it. My buddy (who races a GSXR600) took me to the Ducati dealership. I put down a deposit on a 695. I never was into the crotch rocket thing. I dont plan on racing either. I love the standard and cafe racer look. Wanted an upright seating position too. Youll love the 695 and if you mod it correctly, you wont grow out of it. You wont be as fast as any of your inline 4 friends but if you are ever stopped at a light, all eyes will be on your bike. Jap bikes are a dime a dozen and nobody really looks twice at them. Tons of support here for you.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Count Desmo said:
There is nothing wrong with the SV650-I own one in addition to my Duc. It's a perfectly good motorcycle that does many things very, very well.
+11

thats the only bike i have, love it [thumbsup]

·
Registered
141 Posts
welcome Nick.
sounds like you need a new group of friends.
the 695 is a great bike.
Underpowered? it goes faster than I need it to.
so far it has been very reliable, & I find comfort in the fact that if it does leave me stranded for the first 2 years, ducati roadside assistance will arrange for pick-up & delivery to the shop.
It handles fine. I ride it on the highway, the city & I love to take it on the twisties.
There are better bikes out there if you want to go 150, or do some track racing, or ride wheelies from now until tomorrow.
but....the monster is a d**n fine bike for cruising around the town or the twisties. It is alot of fun to ride.
it has great street appeal & it will turn more heads than any GX or GS.
and it sounds 100 x better than any japanese bike.

I was in the same postion as you 6 months ago.
now look at me, I have a full head of hair. I've lost 20 lbs and 2 inches off my waist and the erectile dysfunction has completely vanished. thanks ducati. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey Nick - welcome to the club. Once you drive it home, we will teach you the secret handshake...
It sounds like you might be suffering some buyers (p)remorse. I have found that, after motorcycles, the leading export of the Ducati factory is opinions about Ducatis. Friends can be a good source of info, but I have found that those who have the most to say about a particular bike have often never actually owned one. So, you have come to the right place.
You can do some searching here to find similar topics, but most people seem to be concerned that Ducatis are expensive to buy and maintain. I'll let you decide for yourself, but I think the Monster, except of the 6k maintenance interval (as opposed to 12k on a lot of Japanese bikes), costs about the same to maintain as its competitors. You might want to factor in insurance costs (a fully faired bike vs naked - naked is typically cheaper) if you are trying to tabulate total cost of ownership. Not sure what they are on about with the handling quirks - if you find out, post here to get input.
Also, for most n00bs, it is more bike than the rider could possibly take advantage of- the performance bottleneck is the rider's skill level for the first few thousand miles, whether you buy a 250 or a liter bike.
As mentioned above, choosing a bike, especially a first bike, is a decision made as much with your head as it is with your testosterone-producing glands. Ya gotta like it. So, maybe you don't need a different bike, but different people to ride your monster with :p

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
SAducati said:
now look at me, I have a full head of hair. I've lost 20 lbs and 2 inches off my waist and the erectile dysfunction has completely vanished. thanks ducati. [thumbsup]
You may now proceed to the Boobies thread, my son. Go forth and prosper.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Count Desmo said:
You may now proceed to the Boobies thread, my son. Go forth and prosper.

I've "prospered" to the boobie thread

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the support. I am definitely going to get the 695. my dealer said it would take some time to get a hold of one ???. the guy is sort of pushy he is still trying to sell me other bikes, he showed me an FZ6 and an F4i, even the new CBR600RR. they are all great bikes but this bastard is RELENTLESS !!
Jedi Knight said:
www.dartflyscreens.com

Dart fly Screen's makes a very nice shield for the monsters.

welcome to the club!
I took a look at the Dart flyscreen and it looks great thanks.

Also I'm trading in my 06 ninja 250. the guy is giving me $2150 for it (note: I put some Metzlers, race tech front springs and a tank bra. it seems like a good deal since only paid $3000 for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.