Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did first oil change (after freebie at 600, now bike has 2100). Ordered filter, crush washers, picked up four quarts of Mobil 1 15/50. Seems simple enough except I didn't find the pre-filter, or screen, when I removed the temp sensor plug, the one on the side..............thought "Gee, wonder where it's at??" Then I thought, "Golly, could my trusted dealership have forgotten to put it back??" Accidents happen, I"ll call tomorrow, but I'm wondering if I need to get one??? I've read that it filters little metal flakes out. Also, I started it up and let the oil run through, seems to 'clatter' a little bit louder???

advice?!?!

Thanks.

·
Registered
374 Posts
When I changed my oil on my 620, I didn't have a screen either. Didn't give it much thought. Post up what your dealer tells you.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
The parts manual shows one for an '02 M900D as well as the 620ie....

It's there to protect the oil pump and oil pressure control valve from scrap metal. It's best to have it in there.

Either your dealer(s) or the factory forgot it.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:p Lesson Learned...........do your first oil change with some who knows that they're doing. I called the dealer and the filter screen bolt is located UNDER the sensor bolt. I saw the crush washer but didn't get those, have some other washer. I'm going to call Chris and see if I asked for the right thing. I thought the screen was behind the oil sensor bolt under the sight glass. But the screen bolt is right UNDER that.....

I'd recommend to everyone else to check the ducatisuite.com site.........there are great explanations, I just wasn't patient enough to let all the pictures load up.

Now that I know, it's no big deal, just the not knowing......... :-/

Maybe Andrew, you were thinking the same thing????

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
FYI,

You can download the parts manuals from ducati.com

Helps a lot in understanding what's going on.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I was thinking the screen was suppose to be behind the bolt that has the plastic tube connected to it. I was give a oil filter and two washers. One washer was for the oil drain bolt and the other washer was for a bolt previously discribed. Not really sure why you would take this off, but who was I to judge.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
I did a search on motowheels for crush washer; did'nt find it. Where do you get one; time to change my oil for the first time. Got everything else I need...

scooby ;D

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Use the same one replace it when it leaks...they should last the life of the bike.. at least that is their design.. they are designed to keep the bolt from backing out.. they aren't a gasket just a form of lock washer.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Thanks. I'm gonna follow the picture and written instructions on Ducati Suite to walk me through it...

scooby ;D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks SpeedDog, I'll download that manual today. On the ride after that change, noticed the milkiness on the new oil, but reading what others have said, that should go away. Seems to shift the same as the 'stock' oil.

I got my stuff from Chris at ca-cycle.com, but I didn't either ask him for a crush washer, or didn't know what I was asking for, which is probably the case. The oil filter also seems to hang a little lower than the one I took off. A short ride and no leaks or anything, so I guess I didn't it right. I tending to be on the nervous side with my Duc since, well, it's my first bike and I'm probably making things alot more difficult than they are............. :-/

Man, I just love this site. Still remains the best, honest info around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts