Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Members in this forum have been really helpful in sharing their insights and helped me find my first motorcycle. I found my motorcycle (2007 S4RS) through this forum as well. Sale is getting finalized. :) Now it is time to hunt for my riding gears.

need some good advice on riding gear; need to buy helmet; jacket; gloves; and boots. I am ready to spend good money on this. Safety first!! 8) (no compromises on this).. please share your thoughts and links on sale items as well.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
I think having multiple options for different applications/weather is nice
I currently have 4 jackets (2 leather,1 cordura, 1 mesh) and 2 pairs pants that i can mix/match
its handy to try stuff on (esp helmet) also check motorcyclecloseouts.com and newenough.com for bargains
-jeff h
monsterparts.com

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree with MonsterHooligan. Multiple options are the best, especially when it comes to jackets; no one jacket will meet all your needs unless you live somewhere the weather never changes.

With that said, I recently picked up a FirstGear mesh jacket that has a windproof/waterproof liner that zips into it. I'll probably only ever use it as a hot weather jacket (without the liner in it_ because I already have a very nice leather jacket that is great for everything below 75°F, but having tried it out, I'd say it would work pretty well except for tho 40°F rides.

And yes, by all means, shop around for a good helmet, and find shops where you can try them on, even if you intend to buy online. Fitting a helmet right is the most important thing you can do.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Agree with all previous posts. I live in the central USA, where you need gear for at least two or three seasons. For the summer I use a Mesh jacket (Joe Rocket Phoenix) and a pair of Diamond Gusset Kevlar lined jeans (there are also the Draggin Jean brand too), Sidi Vertigo Air boots, a Shoei Multitech helmet, and Dainese Hellfire gloves. For the rest of the year I use (or mix and match) a Dainese Phoenix leather jacket with or without liner, Dainese Mekong leather riding pants and Chippewa Odessa Rally boots. When it really gets cold (below 40°) I will use a balacalva under my helmet, Wigwam Base Camp Fusion socks, and Firstgear HT Overpants, and Alpinestars WR-3 GoreTex gloves. The HT overpants are very warm and can be worn in the coldest weather. The WR-3 gloves are also very warm, yet flexible enough to give good feel. I have also found that on really cold days wearing a fleece vest under the jacket is a good idea too. I highly recommend only buying gloves at a store where you can try them on for fit. Size varies widely even among the same brand. When buying winter boots, always take a pair of the heavy type of socks that you plan on wearing when you try the boots on for size. I know it sounds like a lot of gear, but you can buy what you need for each season and it won't take such a large chunk out of your bank account.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Of course everyone has his or her opinion on gear but getting the right gear for YOU is what is most important.

Helmets: I have arthritis in my neck (everywhere actually) and needed the lightest one I could find. My choice was the Arai RX7 Corsair. It's comfortable, light weight and of course fashionable :) But absolutely try them on first. No two fit the same.

Jackets: I have two that I use most. A Clover Nitro and a Joe Rocket Leather/Mesh. Living in the Midwest the temp changes daily and it's good to have options. You need to be comfortable when you ride.

Pants: I wear Alpine stars Dry Star pants. They're comfortable and breathe really well. I can wear them with shorts underneath so whenever I stop I can remove them to walk around and be comfortable. They're good up to 85 F without killing me.

Gloves: I have internal "thermostat" issues (my wife says that I'm going through MANopause) and don't really need warm gloves. I have two that I use depending on weather. Speed N Strength for cooler days and FirstGear full mesh for when it's warmer. It also depends on what type of riding I'm going to do that day. If I'm going to push hard I also have a pair of Teknic full armor race gloves. If I'm going to have an easy day ride I'll wear one of the others.

Boots: Again, depends on weather and how I'm going to ride that day. I have two pair to choose from. Sidi Blade Air and Sidi Vertigo. Both are comfortable and very protective.

Go to your nearest dealer and just start trying stuff on. That's the only way you will be sure of what you're getting.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
197 Posts
get yourself to a very good dealer where you can try on a helmet (fit is everything).

good dealers will have knowledgeable staff that can really help you in selecting the right gear for your needs (both immediate and longer term).

finally, buy your gear from that good dealer! if you have any problems, they will look after you. i don't buy any gear online, even if it is a few $$ cheaper than what my dealer sells it for. besides, if you buy your bike from the same dealer, they will usually hook you up with a decent discount when it comes to gear, etc.

i wear an arai helmet, have 3 different spidi jackets, sidi boots, & british motorcycle gear (winter).

i've just ordered a load of gerbing heated clothing for winter.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Nutty 696 has some good advice. Since motorcycle gear generally fits tight, fit is important. Sizing varies quite a bit in all items, especially gloves. If I don't buy stuff from my dealer, who does give me a good discount, I buy stuff from Cycle Gear, as they stand behind their stuff and it's a "no sweat" deal to exchange or take stuff back. Cycle gear will even special order stuff for you and if you don't like it, you don't have to take it. They also give a 10% discount to military personnel and retirees.

·
Registered
197 Posts
i can also highly recommend motorcycle superstore. excellent service and i've never had a problem using them. i get my tyres through them as well as items i can't get through my dealer.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

·
Registered
1 Posts
For me, decent thermal motorcycle gear is important for comfort. I tend to make sure I've got some decent heated or thermal liners to go with a quality jacket, gloves, helmet etc...I wear it a lot of the time and can make the one set of kit a bit more flexible for different conditions...often couldn't really use the bike without it.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I think that either
1> the original poster was killed on his FIRST bike, a S4RS, that was recommended to him by some idiot killed him.
2> he didn't buy it due to a problem with the gas tank that was noted during inspection

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is very important that your safety gear fits correctly and is comfortable when riding. I have found that if a piece of gear is not comfortable you will more then likely not have it on when you need it the most. When it comes to your safety gear do not cut corners.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts