Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my first Monster (and my first Ducati). Been riding for over 40 years and have owned numerous bikes and models so it's strange that it's taken so long to get here. I'm sure I'm stating the obvious to any readers of this thread but you hear about how much difference the weight (or lack thereof) makes but until you experience it you truly can't appreciate it. Only change I can see necessary is a slight rise of the bars for these aging wrists.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good for you. I also bought my first Ducati (09 M1100S) after 35 years of riding just about every other kind of bike. I added a Rizoma riser and higher Rizoma handlebar and it made a world of difference. At 51, sport bikes aren’t as tolerable as they used to be. I have also added some luggage and am having a blast using mine as a sport tourer. And I agree with alancsalt, that color scheme is gorgeous. Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good for you. I also bought my first Ducati (09 M1100S) after 35 years of riding just about every other kind of bike. I added a Rizoma riser and higher Rizoma handlebar and it made a world of difference. At 51, sport bikes aren’t as tolerable as they used to be. I have also added some luggage and am having a blast using mine as a sport tourer. And I agree with alancsalt, that color scheme is gorgeous. Steve
Getting used to the bars - bad lower back so the forward lean helps and not too much pressure on the wrists. Shocking how good it is as a distance bike. I'm 6'2" and have no problem with the seating position and have done a couple of 200-mile days no problem and could have done a lot more. It really does make a good sport tourer. My BMW RT is now only used for 2-up riding.

When I bought the bike I did not know where the color scheme came from - as far as I knew the bikes were either red or silver that year. Found out that Ducati did something called "Monster Art" body kits for that year ("tank" panels and seat cowl). As you can see it totally transforms the bike. Nine different styles. Trolling eBay for a Valentino Rossi and Nicky Haden version.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought the "Corse" Monster Art panels, and then had the black bits painted Castrol Green. I'm 66, so Saddlemen Gel Tech seat and fat grips. Much more comfortable than my 2009 R1.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Strange... after 27 years of various japanese bikes, I've also bought my first ducati monster, but went the other way and put some clip-ons . wicked bike !
And **** my aging wrists. (I am 1972 model)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Strange... after 27 years of various japanese bikes, I've also bought my first ducati monster, but went the other way and put some clip-ons . wicked bike !
And **** my aging wrists. (I am 1972 model)

Come on man! I'm just a year younger than you and have no wrist or back problems. Go to the gym.

·
Registered
131 Posts
One not having wrist or back problems means nothing in regard to someone elses back and wrists. Also gym work is not going to repair bone damage, nerve damage, crushed discs, arthritis or carpal tunnel. Just helps build muscle strength and stamina. It is a bit of a lottery. Depends on both your genetic constitution and whatever damage you've sustained in life. I didn't really understand what any of that was like until it happened to me. Almost like payback for not understanding when I was younger.

With a bad back, often the stomach muscles have to compensate for the weakness there, but that has its limits.

MJDO99 : Whatever works for you is whats right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Congrats on your first! I also picked one up and I love it more than any of the other bikes I’ve ridden. Classic and loves to go in the twisties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts