Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got one of these babies installed on my '00 900 and thought I'd share some impressions on the first 50 miles or so.

First off, my old shock was deemed shot by some suspension experts who said the rebound was so slow it would cause me problems, hence the need for a replacement. I'm not a racer, but I figured I'd splurge on an Ohlins vs. trying to find a take-off or getting something rebuilt. My logic was that you need decent suspension 100% of the time you're riding, where engine mods might only come into play at the extremes of riding.

Since I'm not much of a mechanic, I had it installed at my local shop. An hour and a half of labor to do that.

Now, I'd gotten pretty used to the old shock, but on really bumpy roads (we have a lot of twisty and bumpy roads around here) I thought things seemed kind of sketchy with the old shock. It never seemed horrible or too bad to ride, just not reallly pleasant is all.

Yesterday, with the new Ohlins on, I took the bike out to a particularly challenging road that has some mid-corner washboards and other nasties. Well, let me say the difference was astounding. The suppleness of the rear meant that the bike's tire was in contact with the road the whole way through, and it gave me a lot more confidence in those corners that used to worry me a lot. It is like riding, as Mike Myers would say, on 'buttah'. I also noticed that the old freeway expansion joints that caused much pain and suffering now are hardly noticeable. Of course I'm kicking myself that I waited so long to get the Ohlins...

Now the only negative: with such a sorted rear end, the deficiencies up front are striking. The fork now feels like it is filled with sand and gravel. So I guess it is back to the shop for a Racetech upgrade or similar. (Much as I'd like the Ohlins forks I don't think I could really justify the cost!)

R

·
0 Posts
Hey Michael,
I am glad you are happy with the Ohlins switch....I know the feeling myself and I also went right away and racteched the front stockers which also made a difference in the positive and I was very happy with it set up that way even on the track, although I did not quite get the compression just right, they behaved very well and until they died on me I was very happy with them as I am sure you would be.....but since they did die on me I had to find something and I replaced them with SBK take off's and although they still need some work to get it just right. again like the difference you are experiencing with the Ohlins in the rear...it is the same with the SBK's the balance between the front and rear is finally there where I think it should be.....it is again quite a change and one for the better....so I was thinking considering what you can find take offs for you might want to consider that as an option also, I am pretty sure you would be even happier in the long run, and I am not sure it would be that much a price difference......happy motoring....

M

·
0 Posts
Went thru the same elated reactions when I put the Ohlins on the 96 M900....but boy-oh-boy it sure made the front tubes stand out in a real pathetic way. RaceTech for certain is in order for the winter downtime...

I drooled over the Ohlins front tubes for awhile after putting in their shock...and then snapped back to my senses...it's a damn Monster not an SBK, and its a 2V air-cooled carb'd one at that...

not like I'm going to be the screaming king of all track days on this thing whipping the rice-burners...so I'm trying to keep my upgrade program within some rational context of the machine's original intent, that being the street thumping hooligan that it is....with refinements and weight reductions....

but then again...ya never know what you'll see on eBay at a good price ;)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I just put my Ohlins on today too. God, what a difference. You think you guys have bad forks? I've got those crappy marzocchi non-adjustable, non-rebuildable jobs. I always knew they sucked, but I never knew just how bad until today. looks like I'm in the market for some adjustable showas.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<snip>-again like the difference you are experiencing with the Ohlins in the rear...it is the same with the SBK's the balance between the front and rear is finally there where I think it should be.....it is again quite a change and one for the better....so I was thinking considering what you can find take offs for you might want to consider that as an option also, I am pretty sure you would be even happier in the long run, and I am not sure it would be that much a price difference......happy motoring....
I've pondered the SBK fork option and it does seem like once all the service and parts are in the old fork it'll be about 700 bucks or so, getting into used SBK fork territory. How did you handle the differences in triple clamps? Did you have the stock ones bored or get something aftermarket? Also, where did you get the forks, and did they need any service prior to begin installed? So many questions....

R

·
0 Posts
I've pondered the SBK fork option and it does seem like once all the service and parts are in the old fork it'll be about 700 bucks or so, getting into used SBK fork territory. How did you handle the differences in triple clamps? Did you have the stock ones bored or get something aftermarket? Also, where did you get the forks, and did they need any service prior to begin installed? So many questions....
Hey Michael....I got a c cat DTC-6 triple for the forks and it comes with a shim kit for the bottom yoke.....I also bought some 53mm clip ons.....other than that it was a bolt on....I was able to sell my previous clips and former c cat triple and will be selling the stock race teched forks also. I bought mine, (gold nitrated) through Moto Wheels....Have also seen SBK's on Ebay....
Since the seals and everything looked good I just put them on and off I went..I have been dialing them in as much as I can. I do not know what is typical but these are pretty stiff, and I have the comp damping all the way out, and the pre-load all the way out. Since I am moving to Cali. I will wait til I get there to make any internal adjustments....considering the parts I sold and bought I am right around $760.00 total for the change over, and less if I ever sell my stock forks....I am happy to have made the switch even if I need to do more to the forks to get them just right.
The only reason I made the suggestion I guess, is that the difference you felt with the Onlins in the rear is very similiar to the difference with the SBK's over the already Race Teched modified non adjustable stock forks I had previously, so I thought it may be well worth your consideration......

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Retro for the info. It does seem pretty close cost-wise, assuming the internals don't need a lot of rework. I've emailed Martin to get some info on availability and cost.

Where you moving in CA, BTW? Probably taking a lot of grief from your friends about our new governor I'll bet. ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Hi Michael,

If you have a 2000 on monster with hollow 25mm forks, it will be about the same cost to go with the SBK forks. Less for sure if you get the non-gold nitrated.

You will also have a lot of left over parts that you can re-sell to re-coup your investment. I sold my stock forks, top triple and clip-ons for $500.

The SBK forks worked much better than the modified OEM forks that I had. The adjustable feature alone was worth the upgrade. The gold nitrated forks feel a little more supple as well.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow. Great portrait! You must've spent an hour figuring out how to light that chin...

R

·
0 Posts
Next time I'm visiting my stepmother down there we should hook up for a ride. She lives just above a place called Point Zero, near Leo Carillo beach.
That would be nice Michael.....I'm not far at all from Leo Carillo...

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Nice photowork, Retro! Michael you did not give the price on that Ohlins ;D I had to choose between that and the damper so that is why I am interested. When is Christmas?!!!!

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I got my Ohlins for $605 from motowheels.com It was the last one they had in stock, but I'm glad I got such a good deal. Labor to install (if you don't do it yourself) is about 1.5 hours.

D

·
0 Posts
What joy it was to find out that Race Tech HQ is here in my town (corona Ca).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Did race tech give you any recomendations as to spring and oil weights? I've had a few calls in to them, but haven't heard anything back, so I was going to give it up. I don't mind the front too much, its solid, but a bit harsh. On more than one occassion the front has all but bucked me off upon hitting a railroad track or something at the right speed. btw, I'm about 160 plus gear and plan to raise the forks a 1/2 inch or so this winter to get a bit more weight on the front to see if that helps and to quicken the steering a bit.

thanks,
mike

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Hi Michael,

If you have a 2000 on monster with hollow 25mm forks, it will be about the same cost to go with the SBK forks. Less for sure if you get the non-gold nitrated.

You will also have a lot of left over parts that you can re-sell to re-coup your investment. I sold my stock forks, top triple and clip-ons for $500.

The SBK forks worked much better than the modified OEM forks that I had. The adjustable feature alone was worth the upgrade. The gold nitrated forks feel a little more supple as well.
So I am curious to know then, before I decide to buy the Ohlins. Are you suggesting that upgrading the forks is a better way to get the most out of your shock? I have had no problems with them. I would think if your going to invest in the shock you would want to do it all. Answers please.

D

·
0 Posts
I didn't ask the tech to many questions but he did tell me that oil and springs would be set up to my weight and riding style and would run me around $300 if I brought it in. My bike is a 620, and I think he based his advice on that alone. What he meant to say was don't waste your money upgrading this novice piece of S---! So those of you with better components already shouldn't worry about your mods!! Go for it.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Trust me, you definitely will notice the ohlins rear shock. But, you will also notice how bad your stock forks are. So, do either one first, but plan on doing both.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Michael, who did you get it from? Kyle USA offers a titanium spring to match rider weight. They say the stock spring assumes 160 lb. to 180lb w/ full gear. Did you take that into consideration? If not, from your description, it seems like you're happy enough with the setup.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the shock from Motostrano. The old shock was shot - it wouldn't rebound quickly enough and from what I was able to gather, rebuilding isn't cost effective on the Boge. So I needed more than a spring...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts