Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone.....

Just have a few questions for the guru's around here and maybe put some thoughts to rest.

My Girlfriend and I are picking up an 04' S4R (for me) and an 03' 620 for her. My questions are related to all the hype surrounding the Ducati name (ie.. Expensive Maint, Frequent Maint, Problems with performance). I have been riding street now for 13yrs and have just sold an 01' TL1000S that was years beyond stock.

Overall what I am looking for is input on those years of bikes and also what MODS would you suggest right out of the box?

I am not willing to sacrafice reliability for power/speed due to the simple fact of enjoying the curves way more than anything else these days. I am looking for safety mods, appearance mods, general improvement mods, etc....

Thank You All In Advance For Any Input.

Liter ;D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: First Ducati Purchase and Most Recommended Mod

this has been discussed (to death?) before so do a search (see the above tool bar)

i picked functionality over performance myself.

Sidestand bypass
New Mirrors
Yanked Emissions

I will say this, going for lighter exhaust cans, and high mounts to boot, seemed to improve the flickability of the bike. The stock cans are quite heavy.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Welcome to the board Liter.

Mods are a very personal choice; however,

Clipons, rearsets, lighter cans and suspension tuning did wonders for my MS4 and has helped me get into the corners a little hotter. A 41t sprocket gets me out of the exit faster (ham fisted geeks need not apply). Lighter flywheel, cam indexing, and fuel mapping helps me down the straight. Planned mods include lighter wheels and a slipper clutch.
I've owned 30+ bikes including several Ducati and this properly setup MS4 (IMHO) is only one that has kept my attention....... More smiles per mile than any other. ;D ;D ;D

My Mrs has a M600 (just upgraded to an SS/FE) that was greatly improved with improved with cans, airbox, jetting, cam indexing and light flywheel (she can run nose-nose with a stock M750 all day).

Goodluck and ride safe!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

With your S4R, your options are limited right now. Different sprockets seem to be the best bang for the buck on any Monster. One tooth down in front or 2 up in the back. Or both if the mood hits you.
Louder pipes are nice, but your options for the S4R are limited. I would let Strati mod the stock pipe for now befor spending big money on a can you sort of like. By next season there should be nicer options. The girls bike will offer plenty of nice and cheaper options.
A vented clutch cover for the S4R is cool, but I would wait until after the pipe mod, or the clutch will be louder then the bike. Uncool.
I just put dual lights on my S4R. They look nice and work well. I don't have enough milage on either lights to say which are better. But other on the board feel the duals are better.

·
Registered
849 Posts

Both my bikes are stock to a great degree, save for frame sliders, rearsets, and clipons (and only because I broke the stock ones off). I tend to spend money on high-quality safety gear and my own improvement, like trackdays and hopefully a school sometime early next year.

If I had money to burn, I'd spend it on suspension first.

-R.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

go to the ducat babe thread, that should give you some direction :eek:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

My roommate has the S4 and I have the 620. Great choices on both! Common mods have been relocating the license plate to get rid of the gargantuan hanger out back, cycle cat frame sliders to (hopefully) avoid major $$$ for a tank ding, and Dart flyscreens which work better than the original Monster items. We haven't had the urge or $$$ yet to opt for accessory cans, but Strati's modified pipes seem to be the best option out there as a bang for your buck purchase. Many people out there gear down there Monsters. The S4 was geared down and it was worlds better. I haven't done it to the 620 yet as my riding is 90% freeway droning and I get along with the stock gearing. The bikes have been dead cheap to maintain, but they're both new still. Have fun!!!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thank You Thank You for all the replies.....and just to let everyone know here, I hit the search button many a time and have visited the FAQ page enough to quote some of the listings.......My questions were more bike and year specific to those that might have or work on these exact models and years. Nothing More....

RACE_DAY, holy sh*t that looks great!

Once again, thank you to those that provided input.

Liter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts