Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be making my first Ducati purchase this week. I have had many bikes, but all cruisers. I have a custom and a Rune in the garage now.

My search has been narrowed down to 2 bikes. A 99 Monster 900 with about 11k miles on it and an 02 750 dark with less than 200 miles.

The price for these 2 is about the same, the 99 slightly less.

Assuming no major unknown problems, is there anything I should know or think about?

I'm sure I would be happy with either, but need some advice so I don't second guess my decision.

Thanks,

Dirk Carnahan

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I'd lean towards the `99 M900... If you play mechanic at home, the 900 is carbureted, more electrically straightforward, and the dry cluch makes working on that easier as well. The 900 has a little more juice than the 750 i.e. and lots of cool aftermarket stuff available.

If you're more of a 'leave it alone and have the shop work on it' kinda guy, maybe the M750 is worth it just for the lower miles and the benefits that you get from fuel injection.

The `99 M900 has already taken its bit hit in depreciation, so it will hold a greater % of it's value at this point.

They're both fine bikes. The `99 M900 is probably the pinnacle of the carbed Monsters, and the `02 M750 is the upgraded version of the best selling Ducati of all time. I think you'll be happy either way.

HTH,
--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Got a few HDs in the garage with my monster too.

Go for the 900 because:
Carbs are easier to play with.

More power is always good.

Duc are like HDs in that the resale is not strictly based on the year/model. Think resale on a $11K Sportster Sport vs resale on a $10K Superglide. The big twin will hold it's value while Sportys typically do not. The '99 may actually be a better deal. More for your money and better resale.

Nobody buys a Ducati for just enough power. With that bike, more motor is better. Monsters have less everywher that less is better (except seat padding).

Advice is BUY IT NOW.

·
Registered
796 Posts
If you have alot of free cash to put into the bike after you get it I would go with the 750 cause you can get a PCIII with a custom map and have the bike runnin perfect with any mod set up. All that is expensive, and if your like me and rather try to dial the bike in yourself go with the 900. Ive got a 900 with 944 kit and it has plenty of power. It does not fire up on cold mornings like a bike with FI but it is easy to work on.

M

·
0 Posts
I've got the 02 750D and love it but there is something to be said about the 900.

- No replacement for displacement
- Carbs suck but suck less than working on FI
- 11k tested miles vs 200 untested miles

The 900 has seen some miles and if it runs good its going to run good for awhile. Any factory issues have been found and probably taken care of. Lots of 2002's have paint issues, electrical issues, leaky batterys and what have not that you may or may not run into in the next few months of ownership.
The 900 is just going to have mechanical issues crop up due to wear and tear. Has it had its valves checked? Its about due.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The '02 is coming up for the 600 mile maintenance. Expect to blow a couple hundred bucks for that. :eek:

R

·
0 Posts
Good decision... I had to make a simliar one when I bought my Monster last spring...

m750 with jet kit, airbox modified, termi pipes... low miles, mint condition... beautiful bike.

m900 pretty much entirely stock (just kill switch and mirrors fixed)... 11,000 miles.

Aside from the pain of the 12,000 service (about $600) I haven't regretted my choice once. I know if I had bought the 750 I would be wishing for the 900 now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts