Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a noob. I'm thinking about getting a 04 Monster 620. This will be my very first bike ever. Should I go with this or a used Monster?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Depends.
New will be used after you do first miles on it.
But You have warranty for 2 years.

Good Used ones You need to find. And have patience.
And realise that it will be a used one.
Friends here can help You out.
Where You from ?

Count Your money for insurance and safety gear.

04 620 is a great bike. Differencies You find in this board, do search.

Monster is a tool to discover your senses and spririts. I say.

Have fun, that is the most important thing,

Skier

·
Registered
668 Posts
In Italy I use internet companies.

In USA, I think the ask offer from the one You using for now for car ?

AAA, Farmers, Progressive etc ?

Skier

·
Registered
915 Posts
State Farm is what I would recommend...you'll probably need to have your car with them as well. They only charge by displacement of the engine.

gnew

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
imo, I will never buy new agian. There are too may guys who buy a spankin new bike, set it in the garage for a year only putting a couple of hundered miles on it, and the sell it for a couple grand cheaper.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
My first bike ever was a 2003 620. I couldn't be happier. Also I have insurance through progressive for $88/ year, with 3 month off in the winter.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
...Also I have insurance through progressive for $88/ year, with 3 month off in the winter.
$88/year? Is that a typo? If not, I'm getting screwed. I with a local progressive agent who is cheaper than the web or calling them directly. Mine is ~$600/yr (no winter break). It wasn't that much cheaper with it. First bike. No MSF. Had license since Jan 2nd. Those are contributing factor's for some agents. I didn't think it was with mine though.

Oh well. It was the best I could do around here. He was the cheapest by far. If you want to play, you've gotta pay! ;D

Duane

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Here's my insurance info on my S4R....

2004 MTRCYCLE DUCATI
Personal Coverages Coverage Selected Premium
Bodily Injury: $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident
Property Damage: $50,000 per accident
Uninsured: $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident
Underinsured:$50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident

Vehicle Coverages Deductibles/Limits Premium
Other Than Collision - OTC: $500 deductible
Collision: $500 deductible

Vehicle Subtotal: $248.00 /6 months

USAA rocks!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I use State farm but all my vehicles are combined a S10 truck Chevy Lumina and a 02 S4 for 188 a month.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
USAA wanted at least 3 times that much for my '01 M900,same coverage, deductable everything. I don;t have any tickets or anything. They gave me a great rate on my truck, but horrible on the bike. I don't think I will every figure out this insurance thing. So matter how little I pay i always feel like I'm getting [email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
I hear ya! The agent I have my house, Lexus, and Ford Ranger through quoted me $1600/yr on my bike. She told me that their rates dropped a lot when you have had a license for more than 2 yrs.

A friend of mine called his agent when he was considering a FZ1 - $4300 /yr!!! His '03 M800S is around $500.

Crazy!

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
My first ever bike was and still is a M620 2002. I have had nothing but the best of luck with this machine. It's still all stock and I still find that whenever I ride it I'm smiling. It's a very easy bike to learn on and my insurance is 267.00 per year from Progressive. I am 42 years old so that probably helps alot. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have USAA. I've had it since I bought my 900 in January, '02, and it actually went up last year, not because of anything that I had done, but because, according to them, all insurance on bikes went up in VA, where I live. I'm not sure how they would compete now, but at the time when I bought the bike, they were BY FAR the cheapest. Now that I'm over 25 it may be different, but I really like their service, so I'm sticking with them. right now I pay 180/mo for a 2000 prelude and a 2001 M900 with a $250 deductible. I'm pretty sure the duc is about 55/mo by itself.

as for buying new vs. used, I've done both, and It's my estimation that most of the problems that may arrise would probably happen when the bike is still pretty new and under warrantee, so as long as you stay away from something that's had a record of problems, and as long as you know it's been taken care of, you can get away with going used. Of course, you could also find a new '02 or '03 and not pay much more than you would for a used one. That's what I did when I bought mine.

-Ed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts