Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright guys, need some help. Got cold at work today, whent to drive home and it didn't seam to run quite right. Should I have let it warm up more? 4 miles down the road it hesitated a little and began to backfire flames. Started it back up and it did the same. I know the thing is running rich, could smell it. Guy I bought it from says he always ran it rich and that u had to let it warm up good. Is this right? I'm lost, this is brand new to me. Help?

Jim

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Backfired from the pipes or the airbox? What year/model are you riding?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It backfired from the exhaust i beleive, i mean there where obvious flames comming from the tip. I'm real new to this so bare with me appreciate the help. This is baffleing me, how do you adjust the amount of fuel into the cylinder?

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Race Day Dennis has experienced backfireing, flames out the pipes!!!! Melted his whole back end!! :-/

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
could be the needle jets. they oval, and let to much fuel thru. this would cause a rich condition. at all but wide open throttle.

·
Registered
376 Posts
You have probably already checked this, but was the choke still on? I think that would cause flames out the tailpipe, at least on my H0nda it did (don't ask how I know this)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would lean towards an electrical issue. Something causing one of the cylinders not to fire the gas is getting ignited by the other cylinder.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now can someone give me a breif overview on this whole jetting thing? I apolagize guys bud I'm as green as it gets. I have a extra jet kit, should I try that? Any chance the spark plugs are fouled up?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
have you had the valves lash checked lately,ignition timing?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I just bought the bike, it has 15000 miles on it almost. Its due at 16k from what i was told.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
I agree with raceday dennis it was probably running on one cylinder. This has happened to my wife's M750 a few times. First thing I do is change the plugs then take it to a good shop and have them adjust your mixture. It will fire right up when you put the new plugs in.

·
Registered
337 Posts
"Jetting" refers to the size of the inlet jets that suck fuel into the main carb chamber, or venturi. It also refers to the position of the needle that rises and falls with the amount of throttle input. Different carbs operate differently in terms of their specifics, but this is the basic layout.

When you increase the amount of air into a combustion chamber (ie. increased flow or reduced backpressure from an exhaust pipe) you need to increase the fuel input accordingly. This is what people are doing when they rejet to accomodate a mod that makes the engine "breathe" better. The increase the size of the inlet jets, or raise the needle jet setting to allow more fuel into the engine, so that the motor is not too lean.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts