Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was sitting in traffic the other day minding my own business when I lost pressure on the clutch lever. The total situation is as follows:

1. Clutch in to shift to neutral to stop in traffic
2. Clutch lever returns no problem, but I can feel a lack of pressure
3. Release clutch to start up again in first and it grabs immediately off of the handle without a full range of motion
4. Pull in lever while riding in first since it felt wonky on release, no pressure other than the return spring
5. Clutch will not disengage, have to kick back down to neutral to pull off the road and stop
6. Fiddle with the MC and lever, nothing seems out of place, but no pressure and no clutch disengagement
7. Ten minutes go by of limping the bike down the shoulder in first, clutch has pressure, ride twenty miles home with normal clutch operation...

So I pulled off the MC cover, operation seems normal. I pulled off the slave cylinder, operation seems normal but I have a small oil leak at the slave cylinder mounting location by the red gasket, probably a worn gasket. Would an oil leak there affect clutch operation? I'm talking a slight residue, not a visible drip.

I dropped the bike off today for the 15,600 mile service (errr I mean 12,000 mile service :D) and mentioned the clutch issue and the counter person's (KEEP IN MIND not the tech's, never talked to them) reaction that it was probably going to require a new clutch. Chalk me up as an idiot and I'll gladly admit I know far more about car clutches than the motorcycle variety, but if the clutch is engaging no problem and not slipping I would have a hard time believing it is the clutch. They are going to have the bike for a week and I didn't authorize them to start work on the clutch without an ok, but I'm trying to do my homework on what could cause an intermittent problem like that. I rode the bike around for a few days after the issue occured and I checked everything and it worked exactly as it should have. My thoughts are as follows, feel free to add your own:

Faulty slave cylinder
Clutch needs to be bled
Bad clutch line (some discoloration by the MC, but no leakage)
Evil fairies in my primary

So..... thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
the symptoms indicate something with the hydraulic system, not the clutch plates
i would check in this order
-bleed
-new slave (makes the clutch easier to pull even if it wasnt the problem)
-master cylinder

hope its not the evil fairies...i hate those things

jeff h
monsterparts.com

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to hear I'm not alone in thinking that sounded a bit far fetched.

I'll hold off on having them screw with it until I can get a wrench or two on it. I'll be heading over to Monsterparts to send you more money if the slave is the issue. Anyone know a place to pick up the hydraulic line other than the dealer? I hate paying them.

I should pick up a service manual on this thing eventually. But I have a '90 Golf that decided it didn't feel like having oil pressure last night so I have plenty of oil-soaked projects ahead of me regardless.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Steps
1. Drain All Fluid out of clutch line at Slave Cyl.
2. Change out to new crush washers for Line (to Stop leaks/weeping fluid)
3. Flush your clutch circuit with fresh fluid.

If this does not solve your problems, Check the slave Cyl for proper operation, and then the Master Cyl.

They make rebuild kits for both, but if the Slave is the culprit it would be leaking more behind the piston. or have really hard feel at the lever.

If the line was the problem it would noticeably swell when the lever is pulled.

My first assumption is it needs a proper flushing and bleed with some fresh DOT 4 Goodness

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a similar problem with a (shh!) zx-7 years ago. Intermittant loss of clutch pressure, etc..., just like you. I tried everything listed above, and finally fixed it by swapping the oem rubber clutch line with a braided one.

Good luck with it.

chris

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info, with the odd discoloration by the master cylinder on the line I think I might just go ahead and replace it. Now to see where I can find and get a line by next Tuesday before my trip down to the Tail of the Dragon...

Anyone know if the M750 line is the same as the 695 line?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts