Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've found a couple of *really* good FAQ's on performing one's own tail chop. however, these still left me with a couple of questions:

the taillight on an '03 monster 1000s mounts to the beertray! is there a fender eliminator on the market that takes this into account with '03/'04 monsters or will i have to fabricate something?

most FAQ's that i've seen get a little fuzzy when it comes to mounting turn indicators. where are they getting mounted, specifically?

". . .my dealer said . . ." that if my insurance company catches wind of my tail chop, then they'll raise my rates. wtf? is my bike suddenly considered custom with a tail chop? anyone else heard this wive's tale?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
There are kits that take into account how the light is on the beer tray. The lights mount on brackets that come with those kits.

I am in the process of chopping my tail, it's off and I'm working on the brascket to hold the signals, tail light, and license plate. I'll hopefully be able to get some time to finish it this weekend. If so I'll post a couple of pics. You should do it all yourself, it's fairly easy, just plan it all out. You can save 100 bucks or so that way.

I've never heard of the insurance being raised, that sounds pretty stupid, and I can't think of a good reason for it.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine's under the tail, between the tire and shock. Easily view from behind, not so much from the side. There's a so-so pic in my member bikes folder. I'll have some new ones to post, once it stops raining...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Look forward to the pic's herb. Putting the plate back under the tail light is the only thing that's stopeed me doing a chop.

Must be somewhere else aslo????

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pro italia kit

Tag/Brake light/Indicator brackets included. Pretty simple. Here is a link to my pics.[ftp]http://duc-gasm.myshots.net/album01[/ftp]

and the final product

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
". . .my dealer said . . ." that if my insurance company catches wind of my tail chop, then they'll raise my rates.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking about mounting the plate at the end of the swingarm. I don't know if it's legal in your state but in AZ, you can cut the plate right to the letters. The look would be similar to the HD bikes that have theirs mounted on the side. I think Paul Yaffe makes the part.

If you cut the plate (almost reduces it half size) and then stand it vertically and bolt it onto the end of of the swingarm (bend it forward to match the curves) it would work. Make sense? You have to run the light down there though to illuminate it. My friend did it on his R1.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Shift,

You can get some aluminum strip and use it to support the tail light from the bolts that used to support the beer tray. Drill the holes big enough so you can re-use the rubber grommets to cut the vibration. I hung the licence beneath the tail light, again with aluminum bent to the proper angle, and cut the red lens out of the bottom of the tail light, replaced it with clear plastic to illuminate the licence. I didn't take pics of the brackets, but can do this later this week. Weather is warming up here and I'll probably be picking up the bike from servicing tomorrow.

There are nice kits available, but can be done cheaply. I pledge to spend whatever money saved on other mods...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Azmnstr/Kman,
Good info! I was looking at the swing arm as well, but how?

But, here's an idea, what about using both your suggestions, Cutting the underneath of the tail light is sheer brilliance! Then also cut down the number plate & mount under the tail light. Sorta solves both problems, especially making the plate less obtrusive.

I reckon i'm gonna give this a go. Only need one plate here, so if i stuff it up or get hassled i've still got the other one.

Hmmmmm.......nearly the week end, so i'd better buy some bit's.

Thanks Guys.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
assuming that my avatar is visible to all..
<<<<
youll see mine isn't under the tail light. I didn't chop the frame.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most states have regulations prohibiting any alteration to the tag. Never stopped me, but, believe it or not, I don't give the fuzz a reason to mess with me.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
assuming that my avatar is visible to all..
<<<<
youll see mine isn't under the tail light. I didn't chop the frame.
that's a good look, monsta! how did you do it w/out chopping the tail?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
talked to the guy who told me about the tail chop/insurance deal. his rational was that most insurance companies reserve the right to cancel your policy if you make changes to the frame of the bike. . . even though it's only the tail-nubbin on a monster, it's still technically a change to the frame.

i'm personally of the opinion that unless the insurance person owns/rides a monster, they'll be none the wiser.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I dunno, that sounds fishy to me. That's like saying you need a building inspector if you want to tear down a wall partition. That COULD be true, but only if it's a load bearing wall. Seems like the same type of logic would apply here...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I made the moulds myself using the old tail as a model and made it finish just covering the tubes(you can see the tubes in the pic). I made the bottom part that holds the number plate and blinkers out of scrap metal and wood and then made a mould of that, but only left it fibreglass not carbon fibre like the top bit.

damn, monsta; good show! very industrious.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good opportunity to test pic host...

I have my turn signals in the frame (led), and the plate in second pic (little hard to see on the pic) right behind the shock.. it is visible enough from the back and sides..

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I thought of installing my turn signals inside the frame with (LED), as well, This is what I came up with.

Later on I decided to keep the original turn signals as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts