Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey -

OK, so sometime in the next two months I'll be moving to San Francisco - finally! This move has been in the works for literally years. With a little luck I'll get out of Chicago before it snows for real.

OK so anyway... I have a couple stupid questions:

1) Has anyone here taken the DMV skill test on a Monster? Is it easy/hard/impossible?

2) I'm sure it's been discussed at great length already, but is there a consensus on who does good work in the Bay Area, preferably close to or in SF proper...?

3) Anything else I need to know/plan for/worry about?

Thanks! :)

M.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Re: Finally moving to SF, baby!

Yeah, the DMV test is really tough on the monster, mainly where they have you ride in little circles. The guy who administered my test knew bikes though and gave me the benefit of the doubt, being on a Duc and all.

As for dealers, you're lucky to have so many choices in the bay area. Good ones in SF proper are Munroe and Desmoto sport. There is also a woman named Dee that does Duc service, but I haven't heard and FHE about her.

Lastly, the only other thing to know about is if you're planning on riding in Dec/Jan/Feb you'll want a decent rainsuit. The rest of the year you can stick it in the back of the closet and forget about it.

It really is moto-heaven out here; you'll find all the good stuff soon enough...

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
1) Has anyone here taken the DMV skill test on a Monster? Is it easy/hard/impossible?
The circle they ask you to ride in is almost exactly the turning radius of the Monster. It's hard to go one and a half times around a circle at full lock.

If you already have a motorcycle license in Illinois, you should just have to take the written test. That's all I had to do when I moved here in 1988.

Other things you need to know? Housing is expensive. You might want to look into the options for where you'll live and what the commute will be like. I commuted for 13 years into Silicon Valley 35 miles each way, then finally got tired of it. My "commute" is now 2 miles. If you work in SF and can afford to live there, all should be fine.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information.

For reference, it's 33degF with snow flurries in Chicago today. Can't get there soon enough :)

M.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Re: Finally moving to SF, baby!

The San Francisco Bay area is the best place in the US to live if you can afford it. Great riding, great bike shops, great food, great people, and the list goes on. I'm a part time resident from Florida. In the winter when I return to Florida I go through withdrawals for a month. Make sure you get tickets and hotel reservations for the WSB round at Laguna Seca in April. It blows Bike Week in Daytona out of the water. And you don't have the Harley Bozos to put up with. You're really going to love it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts