Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Been wanting a Ducati Monster for a long time. Finally bought one at a used Motorcycle dealer in Trenton, NJ. A nice one owner 2003 Monster 1000 with 3300 Miles. I looked for a long time and I just wanted one close to stock.

Life was good for 3 weeks and 150 miles. Then on the way home the motor stopped, no problem I thought I have a warranty and roadside assistance. Well my super duper roadside coverage was useless, something about waiting an hour and they might reimburse me 25.00. So I pushed it home 2 miles, luckily it was flat. Problem turns out one of the bolts that hold the tensioner bearings backed out and catastrophic timing belt failure. There was metal in the air box under the filter so basically I'm screwed. But no worry I have a warranty, I had it towed to a dealer and they just said thousands! And they did not seem to enthused about fixing it. Since it was not theirs and they do not like after market warranties, can't seem to blame them. So instead of waiting for a money pit to start I picked up the bike and its back home. My super duper warranty has a cap of 3500. So now I am on the look out for a good condition motor. Warranty company seems nice and said they would be okay for paying for a used motor. I did go back to the dealer where I bought it and they did not want the bike back and might work with me if the warranty wont cover the full amount. Plus the dealer that sold me the warranty did not know the warranty had a cap of 3500, nice..... They called another Ducati dealer and they were a little more receptive but I'm kinda tired of waiting.
So I'm looking for a nice used 1000 air cooled twin. I'll post an ad in the wanted section. Thanks for letting me vent.
Ralph.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
P.S. Yes I know I broke all of my own rules when I bought this thing. I should have waited for one with a history but I figured with such low miles I was safe. Live and learn, again.....

Ps I'm located in Central New Jersey

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well that sucks. Probably should have changed belts as soon as you got it.
Live and learn as you say, but ouch says the bank account. :cautious:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts