Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally broke down and coughed up the $ to make the first mod!

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Re: Finally did it, First mod... up 2 teeth in rea

I did the +2 -1 and a light flywheel.
Your gonna love it when you get it back ;D

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

What does the lightened flywheel do for you? I have heard people talk about them, and I understand the weight reduction of moving parts factor... what else does it do for you?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts

i think the primary thing is that by shedding some mass from the flywheel, far less energy gets stored up in rotational inertia at any given speed. so it is also possible to accelerate faster because the flywheel can be brought up to speed (with the bike) with less energy. effectively more of the power goes into acceleration than energy storage. so the bike will accelerate faster but will also decelerate faster when you let off on the throttle. the secondary thing would be overall weight reduction of the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts

This is gonna be a kinda dumb question, how do you go about lightening the flywheel? Anyone know of an FAQ anywhere?

·
Registered
100 Posts

It's a swap. You change out the standard steel flywheel for the alloy one in the Ducati Performance catalogue.

·
Registered
86 Posts

This is gonna be a kinda dumb question, how do you go about lightening the flywheel?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

Nichols also makes a very light Flywheel. I know that the SS flywheel in our Buell is one of the lightest on the market. BCM is also a great company :)

M

·
0 Posts

I just took the first ride with a 2+ rear.
I had already went -1 up front.
All I can say is HOLY SH!T
Before I had a hard time getting the front end up, now I have a hard time keeping it down!!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Well, rode home last night with +2 in the rear and think it is great!! Much easier to take off with out the groan of the clutch and noticeably snappier acceleration!! BUT, I may want MORE...

Glad to hear that -1,+2 combo doesn't shoot highway revs through the roof.

Does it noticably impair gas mileage??? these bikes don't go too far on a tank of gas as it is...

·
Premium Member
450 Posts

Gas mileage :eek:.It's a S4, it only cost $3 to fill it up :D
I usually get about 130-140 miles on a tank....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Gas mileage :eek:.It's a S4, it only cost $3 to fill it up :D
I usually get about 130-140 miles on a tank....
It's not really a concern about the $$ for gas, but the distance travelled between stops... Here in AZ, when you get out into the mountains, which are a ways away, there are places where you gotta be concerned about where the next gas station is at.

·
Registered
796 Posts

Just took my bike for the first ride since I went +1 in the back and -1 up front. Im now at 14 and 40 on a 94 M900 with a 944 kit, FCRs, race wheels, blah, blah, blah, and to tell you the truth I was not that blown away. I could always power up the front wheel in first and just barely power it off the ground in second. Now it powers right up in first and I am pretty sure I wont have any trouble coming up in second. Mostly it just feels much smoother from a dead stop to 10-20mph. I tried to power out of some corners but the roads are still a little wet. I think it will come out of turns better though. I will be going to work in a few minutes and I will post how the freeway speeds change.
All in all its better but very easy to live with.
O.K. I usually cruise at 80 in 6th on the freeway. Normal rpms are about 4700-4800 today it was 5000-5200 It was very windy and kinda hard to hold a steady rpm for the 20 freeway miles but it looks like Im up 300-400 rpm at my usual freeway speed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts