Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 2 dealers fighting for my deposit right now... One is 1.5 hours away and wrote this:

First in line for the base 1098...

Here's what we'll do... $14,995 for the bike (red only), $449.85 3% road use tax, $300 freight, $180 prep, $59 lic/reg, $50 doc. = $16,033.85 out the door. We'll do your 600 mile service for free (parts AND labor). Any accessories/clothing purchased or ordered at the time of sale will be discounted a minimum of 10%. Higher dollar volumes will be given extra consideration.

(Isn't the freight and prep charge all bullshit anyways??) It seems to balance out with the 600 mile service for free and stuff though...

Second dealer....
My local dealer has told me that a deposit today makes me second in line and they can do $250 over MSRP... I don't know what OTD would be, however, it's probably going to be a higher price than above.

What deal should I take??!! I am torn between the local sale and the 100 mile dealership's offer...

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Calculate an OTD price on your local dealer. If it's within $200, go local; it pays in goodwill. Besides (knock on wood), if this new model has "challenges", you won't want to be trucking that thing 100 miles for work.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
bobspapa said:
I agree.

A motorcycle dealership is a business, and I doubt the profit from the sale is enough to cover his legitimate costs and make much of a profit.

The second guy will probably make you first in line if you offer more. ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Try to stay local.I've done both and prefer local,discounts 10/20% on everything(gear,parts,etc..).See if you can have the local come close or match the other price.Also like GregorMac,"it pays in goodwill".

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
GregorMac said:
Calculate an OTD price on your local dealer. If it's within $200, go local; it pays in goodwill. Besides (knock on wood), if this new model has "challenges", you won't want to be trucking that thing 100 miles for work.
why would he have to? local dealer still has an "obligation" to perform the warranty work.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
scottroxxx said:
looks like they are taking care of you with that deal, what the hell is road use tax?
road use tax = sales tax/registration

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
derby said:
why would he have to? local dealer still has an "obligation" to perform the warranty work.
I just like to support locals, I guess. Sure, he would have an obligation, but that is it. My philosophy is to develop relationships, that's all.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not out to bash ANY dealerships so those parties will remain nameless, but I've personally known 5 people whose bikes were ****ed up by my local dealer (or the crackhead they hired who services and repairs things) and everyone that's gone to the dealer who is 100 miles away loves the experience and raves about the service, business and price. Plus it's a sweet ride into the mountains of NC!

From a sales perspective, the local dealership just sucks... Salesman are 55 year old bastards who can't ride worth a damn and would pawn their mother if they actually had salesman skills. Shopping for a 749 dark about 2 years ago at the local dealership and they wanted 14,299! I offered MSRP which was around 12K and change and they laughed at me... I walked out and built a custom cruiser instead...

I feel like I'm making a smart decision and here's the second dialogue

My response to the offer
That is a very strong offer. I feel that I have made the right decision in choosing to business with you Corse red is acceptable for color, but a black biposto (or mono if it came down to it) with red trellis frame would really seal the deal!

His reply
Although I have a bias, I think you've made a good decision in choosing us also. That's fine on the info and deposit time frame. I like your idea on the black with red frame. We know there's a red biposto @ $14,995 and a "Tricolore" which is an "S" version @ $24,995. There is another color which has not yet been announced. I hope to God it's not yellow also. That's why we stipulated in your quote "red only" because we are sure we can get it as we have it on order. If it becomes a "sold order" (with your deposit), it gets a priority ship date. When I know the other color, I'll be glad to share it with you. If it does turn out to be black and it's the same price, I have no problem offering you the same price as red. As I understand it the 2 regular models are to be biposto versions and the Tricolore S version will be a monoposto.

Thanks again, and I'll look forward to speaking with you tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
GregorMac said:
I just like to support locals, I guess. Sure, he would have an obligation, but that is it. My philosophy is to develop relationships, that's all.
that relationship is a two way street. i refuse to buy anything for over retail/msrp.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
What's with the $300 freight? He already quoted you a prep charge...

600-mile-service credit probably worth no more than $300 out of your pocket (less to him 'cause part of it goes to tech as salary).

Future discounts on stuff doesn't put any money in your pocket (and he'd need to put it in writing).

Neither 'deal' is a deal...if you have to have it, buy it....

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Jadesporster,
Did you used to deal with a dealer in SC and are you talking about going to dealer in Ashville, NC?

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LA said:
Jadesporster,
Did you used to deal with a dealer in SC and are you talking about going to dealer in Ashville, NC?
Dont want to use names here but you've already gone there...

The closest dealer that's local to charlotte has been really hit or miss with 5 different riding buddies and I've had some qualms with certain salesmen on a personal basis. i'll let you guess which dealer that is!

But to answer your question, I'm taking my money to asheville and buying a new bike there instead. The asheville shop gets a lot of business from the charlotte market for the reasons previously discussed.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Dont bother with the price for now, just get on the list and worry about it once it gets closer to release date which should be late Jan or early Feb. I think once the hype cools down you should be able to find one under MSRP.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OT said:
What's with the $300 freight? He already quoted you a prep charge...
So asking for the bike in the crate and waiving the 300 dollar freight charge seems like the best bet?

Or asking for the bike in the crate and waiving the 180 dollar prep charge AND the 300 dollar freight charge seem possible?

All prep involves is putting fluids in the bike and tacking on the huge mirrors, then cranking it up and checking for leaks, right?

I've got a local engine builder who used to work AMA pits for ducati and does local wrenching now... I might just bring the bike to him and let him put the fluids in it for me and do a test drive or something so I dont get killed in the mean time...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.