Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into changeing the chain, front and rearsprocket on my 01 S4 and wanted a little advice on the best setup. I am deffinitly changing the front sprocket from a 15T to a 14T because everyone that has done it has liked the low end performance. My Question is the rear sprocket should I stay with a 37T (stock) or go up to a 40T. I need a 525 HV chain and the only sprocket that moto wheels offers in that size is 37T or 40T. If i go to a 40T sprocket will the bike have to much low end?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Depends on the type of riding that you do. If you are on the highway a lot then you may want to stay with the 37T but if not the 40T could be loads of fun.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I am at 15/42 on my S4 with Termi's/header/airbox/chip. I like it--easier to ride in low speed situations. I can actually use 6th gear. And no, it is not going to wheelie over backwards. I would for sure go 40T.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I also run 15/42 on my S4

I tried 14T front with standard rear first and it was not to my liking or requirements

I had a gearing plan done by The Gearing Guru (Jim Gnitechi sp?) and he nailed it. Best money you can spend if thinking a gearing change.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if 2 guys are using a 15/42 set up and are very happy with it I guess that is the way to go. I was running an K&N filter ,open airbox with Ferraci pipes but I just upgraded to a ceramic coated Quat D X Box. Can't wait till next spring. I am also planning on purchasing a Power Commander to dial it all in. Can't wait till next spring when this winter project will be complete. Thanks Guys

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I'm running a 15/39 on my '02 S4, and I like it.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Thats why I mentioned The Gearing Guru...everyones ride is different and he customises it based on what you want to do and info you supply him. (He gave me three options with comprehensive detail on what to expect from each). The option I chose was exactly as he said it would be to +/- 100rpm approx.

Cost me USD$30 I think.

BTW - Is Jim still around?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Shooter said:
Thats why I mentioned The Gearing Guru...everyones ride is different and he customises it based on what you want to do and info you supply him. (He gave me three options with comprehensive detail on what to expect from each). The option I chose was exactly as he said it would be to +/- 100rpm approx.

Cost me USD$30 I think.

BTW - Is Jim still around?
afaik, he still responds to gearing guru requests..

I'm still amazed at how much detailed info he's able to give back [thumbsup]

·
Registered
23 Posts
FWIW When I bought my '02 S4 the previous owner had the gearing set up as 14 and 42. The bike was hard to handle between 0mph and 50mph. It didn't seem to want to stand up as much as it seemed to want to pull me along. I went back to stock and am happy now, but I really think I should have gone to 15 and 37 or 14 and 40 for a bit more oomph at low speed. So, my advice is don't go overboard.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to the Ducati Shop manual the stock final drive ratio is 15T Front and 37 Rear on the 01. Maybe they changed this ratio on the 2002 models. But i am convinced to go with the 15T Front and a 42T Rear. if I don't like it I'll just buy a smaller rear for $40.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts