Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm lost. Are we talkin about the same parts, or 2 different parts? I never saw a price on the link Retro posted.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Red unfortunately you cannot use the FIM chip. Your bike has the new 5.9 ECU and the whole ECU must be replaced to do anything. The 5.9s at this time are not remappable. The other options are a PCIII or the Techlusion box.

The price for the 5.9 FIM replacement is abot 700 dollars

R

·
0 Posts
I think what Ducman was trying to say is that fortunately, :)
you can now replace the ECU with the FIM, get rid of the immobiliser and fully map 5.9 equipped bikes.
I just thought you wanted some info on FIM chips.

R

·
0 Posts
FAST BY FERRACCI chip was Re: FIM chip

This is none FIM chip related. I got my S4 used a few weeks ago and last owner told me there is a FAST BY FERRACCI chip on the bike. However I feel the idle speed is not stable. It's always jumping between 1000-1300rpm up and down even though bike has been warmed up. My first question is how do I find out there is really a chip in there? 2nd question is how do I make the idle speed stable? I am a total newbie of Ducati this is my first ever Duc.

Thanks,

Hung

M

·
0 Posts
Re: FAST BY FERRACCI chip was FIM chip

I got my S4 used a few weeks ago and last owner told me there is a FAST BY FERRACCI chip on the bike.
there aren't any chips available for the s4... the s4 uses the weber 5.9 and doesn't use a replaceable chip. either the previous owner doesn't know what's on his old bike or was giving you a line of bs. most likely the former.

as far as i'm aware there are only:
the dp performance ecu... which replaces the stock ecu. (most expensive and has been known to cause troubles because ducati provides wrong ecu for appropriate model year)
the techlusion unit... which increases fuel based on rpm and throttle position sensor. (cheapest)
the power commander... which is like the techlusion but with significantly better mapping resolution. (just about any dyno shop can make a map)
the ulti-map offered by fim... which replaces the stock ecu and is fully remapable using the fim software (best option but not a lot of folks offer tuning)

others have played with the tps and co sensors to richen the fuel on the stock unit. but there aren't any chips being offered for the s4. try to find out exactly what the previous owner had adjusted... sounds like they dinked with the stock ecu by your description.

R

·
0 Posts
That worries me now if I don't have any chip on my bike. The bike has termignoni exhaust and I think it's a full system. Isn't it necessary to add more fuel into it? Or for S4 is not needed? I hope the bike is not running lean. Should I get a power commander and tune it up?

Hung

R

·
0 Posts
BTW, where is the factory ECU located? I think I need to find out what mods my s4 actually has right now.

Thanks,

Hung

M

·
0 Posts
you're probably okay the termi systems come with the ducati performance ecu. so i guess this is what the previous owner meant when he had a "chip". the ecu is to the right of the battery. you are most likely not running lean if you have the dp ecu as it accounts for the open lid and open pipes.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
S4 DP ECU Part Numbers:

2001 ONLY

CENTRALINA KIT PLUS (slip-ons + open airbox)
96506100B

CENTRALINA KIT POWER (full system + open airbox)
96506200B

CENTRALINA KIT CORSE (cams + full system + open airbox)
96506300B.

----------------------------------------------------------------

2002 +

CENTRALINA KIT PLUS S4/02 (slip-ons + open airbox)
96508702B

CENTRALINA KIT POWER S4/02 (full system + open airbox)
96508802B

CENTRALINA KIT CORSE S4/02 (cams + full system + open airbox)
96508902B

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It is my understanding the Ducati no longer ships the "Kit Plus" with a performance ECU. Instead, they ship instructions for the dealer to enrichen the mixture. My guess is they do this mostly to keep the cost of the slip-on kit down, competing, as they do, with much cheaper alternatives. Maybe someone can verify this.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So let's try this again, I keep trying to post and nothing happens. Anyway...I take it those of us with newer bikes cannot upgrade our intake systems. I really would have liked to do an open box lid or that "Beast" intake system. I am starting to hate the whole ECU problem thing. People can hack into the US government computers but they can't crack a simple motorcycle computer?!?!

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Yes you can, there are 3 options

1.PCIII
2. Techlusion box
3. FIM 5.9 Replacement ECU

Its a fairly complex piece of electronics (the 5.9) The security thatencompasses the map is pretty good. Duane at FIM worked on cracking it for the longest time, but ended up making his own unit which actually does some pretty cool stuff.

Disables the Immobiliser function for all models. You can use the U59 on a race or track bike without the ignition key, immobiliser aerial, and immobiliser unit.
Supplied pre-mapped for most applications - slipon mufflers, revised cam timing, etc.
Fully mappable for Fuel Map, Rear cylinder Correction Map, Spark Map, and Rev Limiter using a new version of our Mapper program (available to dealers)
Can be operated in Road Mode (all side-stand cutouts, starter button, clutch switch etc. functional) or Track Mode (Kill Switch only) so you don't need to wreck your wiring harness to go to the track.
Each cutout function can also be individually set if you wish.
The Dashboard Water Lamp or ECU check lamp can be used as a Programmable Shift Light in addition to the warning function.(Some models only)
Can be diagnosed using the Ducati Mathesis Tester or our UltiMap Diagnostics Software.

R

·
0 Posts
Tom,

Thanks for the part numbers. I found that I have the kit plus for 2001. However I was told by a dealership that termi only sells full system but I think the one on my bike is a slip on. Anyone knows why?

Hung

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Tom,

Thanks for the part numbers. I found that I have the kit plus for 2001. However I was told by a dealership that termi only sells full system but I think the one on my bike is a slip on. Anyone knows why?

Hung

Hung,

That dealer sounds clueless. I have an 2001 S4 friend with Termi slip-ons (Ducati Perfomance). His kit came with an ECU, but he bought it over a year ago.

edit:

I just looked at the DP S4 catalog. They still show all three kits with ECUs. fwiw (pages 8-13)

http://www.ducati.com/docs_it/bikes/accessories/catalogs/monster/pdf/M_S4.pdf

Keep in mind, the part numbers I supplied on the other page are for the DP ECUs only. Not the kits.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts