Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating a 'ride' this summer cross country. I'm wanting to do the ferry trip from WA to AK.

Has anybody ever done this trip? Did the bike stay verticle during the trip?

Also, I'm also debating about shipping the bike back home. The usual shipping vendors on the FAQ does not have an AK option. I"m guess this is a 1k+ shipping- if it WAS available.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I took the ferry from Angel's something or other, Washington to Victoria, Canada. A Harley and I think an SV650 made the trip. Both survived but you shoulda seen the look on the SV650 rider's face when he saw the accomodations. They essentially just parked next to the hull and each got 1 rope to tie their bike to the hull. I believe the it's a 2.5 hour trip and goes through a relatively rough part. It looked scary as hell for the bikes but they made it just fine.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I'd call the ferry company and ask directly.

My wife and I have ferried from Maine to Nova Scotia twice. The new ferry we took in 2004 provided wheel blocks and heavy duty, ratchet style tie-down straps that affixed to eye-bolts set in the deck. At unload time, all the motorcycles unloaded first, we didn't have to manuever in line with the cars.

Tommy T.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
DanTheMan said:
Maybe bring your own tie-downs in preparation. I dont think it will survive on kick stand alone.
Of course, that's only worth anything if there's a place to connect your tie-downs. Lots of ferries just have big, open decks that are essentially seagoing parking lots. I'd be lots happier with a bike on a centerstand than on a sidestand.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
For ferry info: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

If that link does not work, Google 'Washington State Ferry' for the home page.

Your trip idea sounds ideal. Serious saddle butt. I'm not sure about shipping info.

This spring or summer I'm going to ferry from Port Angles, WA. to Victoria, BC. This is the trip erkishhorde is speaking of. Good info for what to expect. Need motorcycle pillow :D and extra tie downs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts