Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there is an inexpensive way to take of that huge factory license plate "shield" instead of buying a 100.00 fender eliminator kit. Thanks.

Regards,
Patrick

D

·
0 Posts
if you are talking about the mud flap, you can just un bolt it and use the tag bracket and the long pwice that holds the reflectors on to mount it back to the bike. really simple, and free

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got my fender eliminator for $19 for evolution...it was cheap, easy to install and looks so much nicer!

·
Registered
915 Posts
the evoluzione is 20 bucks at Motowheels...nicely machined, can't beat it --plus I'm sure there is other stuff you need there as well ;D

·
Registered
14 Posts
The kit per the Motowheels web site indicates it includes a small light. Does it work well and how does it look installed, if you did install? Thanks!

N

·
0 Posts
I just received and installed the evoluzione kit from Motowheels. Mine didn't come with a light and I don't know why you would need one as it moves your plate closer to the stock light.

The only oddity that I ran into was that the kit came with a replacement bolt to mount it. But the location the directiosn tell you to mount it has a bolt built into it so you just use all the existing hardware.

Mines installed looks great!

K

·
0 Posts
I just got my Evoluzione from Motowheels, will be putting it on as soon as I get plates. Definitely worth the $20, unless you are handy with metal work, then it's probably grossly overpriced... :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I as well just received my evoluzione license plate relocator from Motowheels. Very easy to install with great instructions. Looks great. It does make the tag harder to read clearly since it is right up against the underside of the bike. I guess this is good and bad. Don't know if anyone has experienced a problem with being stopped by police.? It is a high price to pay ($19.99 plus $7.75 s/h) for such an inexpensive to make part. But, I would say it was worth it for a clean/easy mod. BTW, easy/quick internet purchase from Motowheels.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Did my tail chop last week...99 M750..
the 99 M750 has the rear signals integrated with the plastic flap (so you cant just ditch the mud guard)

I ordered the signal relocator from Motowheels...came fast- works great.

link to signal relocator:
http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=9|Misc.&productID=2880&showDetail=1&categoryID=41|Ducati Monster Misc.&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=168|Italian Motorcycle Parts

Unbolted my mud flap, pulled the wiring out and the plate off...
Then took a cutoff wheel to my frame ;D then reversed the lock cable direction so the lock cable then ran under my seat in an "S" shape so that it would meet back up with the lock mechanizm from the original direction (the seat-lock works perfectly still)

then put the signal relocator on and mounted and wired my signals....

then took two pieces of aluminum strap about 5-6" long and bent them to around 110 degrees? Drilled them out, and bolted them underneath with the existing bolts and bolted my license plate on....DONE!...

took me all of 1 hour....

I LOVE it and am so glad I finally did it. 8)

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Is there any cutting or permanment changes required to get rid of the big mudflap thing?

Additional close up pics of the homemade mudflap removal idea would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
669 Posts
duckets,

you have images of your bike after the chop?

I believe i'm about to do this. I started to buy the signal relocator bracket and then realized i could probably fabricate this myself. It doesn't look too difficult from the picture on the motowheels site. anything i should watch out for?

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
LiZrD

I am at work now this morning...but yeah ..looks like you got the same bike...If you can hang on I will take some pics and post them...I can even show you under the seat, how i rearanged my seat lock mechanizm cable......

The only thing you might want to get is the signal relocator from Motowheels that I have posted a link to above...you could fab the signal relocator, but the one they have works great and is real clean...plus (i dont know about you) I have a million other things to do with my time, so the 20+ bucks was worth having it already made..

Oh yeah...pick up a pair of regular bicycle handlebar end caps to plug the holes in the frame after it is chopped.

I will get picks up soon...

J

·
0 Posts
I just made some L-brackets out of steel, painted them black, drilled the holes and I was done. I just had to use the factory mounting plate off the fender, but with patience and careful measurement, it will work. The only problem I had is I made the brackets too short so the top of my tag is right up against the bottom of the tailpiece. Also, I just used the set of bolt closest to the back of the bike, so The light doesn't shine right on the tag. All you do is remove the four nuts holding the fender on and mount the brackets on the rear set of bolts. Altogether, it took me an hour to do the conversion. I can e-mail you some pictures if ur interested. I may even make the brackets for you and ship them to you for $20, shipping included. :eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts