Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want install FCR's with pod filters.
does that affect the intake resonance adversly? or does it not matter with a mechanical slide.
not to sure on this subject.
I would like the weight loss from the removal of the air box.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Having the mechanical slides means that you no longer have to wait for the vacuum to suck them up, so you "could" run without filters.* I've found that I'm cleaning the pod filters about every 3mos down here in Fl, with all of the sand in the air, but the performance gain was well worth it. When you get them tuned in right, starting is not too much of a problem in cold weather, you'll learn the sequence leading up to it over time**, so not having a choke is not a problem for me. The intake sound is increased to the point that you almost can't here the exhaust over it, and you'll eventually get used to the fact that it's supposed to make that chirping sound every time you open the throttle (ahh, sweet music).

*this action is not recomended in under any circumstances
**Get fully dressed and ready to go before attempting to start bike, it's hard to put on a helmet while holding the throttle open.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so starting would be the only issue. once i get the rittual, no problems.
thanx

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ran with pods for a while after I put on my FCR's, it was robbing me of power. I loved the look but after checking with a few people we all came to the conclusion to try the airbox. It really gave me the power that was missing. Hey Reckless Kelly did you first have and airbox the put on the pods, I am curious and always in search for more power.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Splinter, I ran it with the airbox at first, got every thing dialed in and then took of the airbox, and it ran like crap (I had the top of the airbox cut off, so I didn't think that removing it would affect anything). Back to the dyno and dialed it back in for an additional 3HP and 6ft.lbs. of torque. The main reason that I took out the airbox is because all of the wiring in the headlight fairing of my SS had to wrap around where the airbox was for a cleaner install. After all was said and done, I could feel the difference in power, and haven't had any carb related problems.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I run 2 bikes with FCRs & pods. You will get a little better power with pods, but you have to jet accordingly. The main benifit (to me) is the simplicity & better access to everything. If you go that route, get a Uni style filter in the largest size you can stuff in there. K&Ns aren't so hot to start with & if you go with one of their little pods with the chrome tops, you'll be doing lot's of the cleaning thing.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmm, maybe I will have to try it again, I too love the look and simplicity of the pods and it would be great to get a bit more power. Can anyone give me the setup for jetting and any other adjustments needed?

TIA
Denny

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Unfortunatly, I haven't jetted any of mine for a while, & I didn't bother to write anything down.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Hi Norm,

Does your experience use dyno to test differences? MY experience does not, but I've heard from those who have dyno'd that airbox is better.

:) Chris

PS - I bought the boxes to ship your complimentary bent monster frame and tank to you today. Also picked up the free styro popcorn I'll need...

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Nah, I'm to cheap to pop for dyno time, especially on something like this, that just isn't that important to me. I just use throttle response & butt dyno to make my judgements.
I've heard contratictory info on this subject from different expert sources & even seem dyno grafts supporting each position (although not with FCRs). I really think it's just a tuning thing & either way, I suspect people are really "splitting hairs".

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hey you pod guys,

I like the cleaner look without the airbox, but what did you guys do for the coil and battery mounting? Just curious to see some pics before i decide to go that route.

I think the pods have that cool "old school" look that fit a monster.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I have the Uni Filters on mine. Cut the front of the airbox off only and left coils, battery, etc. You wil have to adjust for idle, by turning out the fuel screws. I had to rejet also but I have a full system, too. Make sure you do a plug chop after to ensure it is not too lean.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Nah, I'm to cheap to pop for dyno time, especially on something like this, that just isn't that important to me. I just use throttle response & butt dyno to make my judgements.
I've heard contratictory info on this subject from different expert sources & even seem dyno grafts supporting each position (although not with FCRs). I really think it's just a tuning thing & either way, I suspect people are really "splitting hairs".
Yeah. Thing about butt dyno is that I've found when you "feel" an increase, there's typically a flat spot somewhere and you "feel" the power returning to normal as you climb out of the flat spot.

With my former 900ss, the pods were susceptible to wind variations, etc. I run pretty big pods and they are a little too small, it would seem.

I reckon that if a person is more concerned about the looks than the power, that's ok. But I don't like the notion that they'll somehow increase power, because I don't feel that's true in the case of the dual FCRs. :)

:) Chris

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanx for all the replies. been reading Kevin Cameron, he mentions the seat off the pants dyno the same as Chris.
If you you feel it, you may be coming out of a flat spot.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
HEY-HEY-HEY!!!! Ain't no "flat spots" on my bikes!!!!!!!!!!!

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry Norm, no disrespect intended.
I just want to be sure I do the right thing.
don't want to mess around trying tune out a glitch, in the carburation that can't be tuned out.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi guys,
While reading your comments, I asked myself a question.
Would it be a good option to install pod filters on stock mikuni carbs?
Thank you
;)

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
fwaar! I like this idea! I'm gunna have to look deeper into this.. I'm not too concerned about peformance (tho a bit more'd nice) and i have a spare batterybox\airbox if I need to chop it up for the battery and relay mounts.
so what brand/type pods get the vote from guys?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I run pods on one bike that has stock Mukunis. The brand I like best is Uni.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts