Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the bike to start, turns out it was the starter and I had it rebuilt for $40 I let Ducati of Oceanside pull and reinstall the starter and it cost me $130 so everything worked out good.
Now onto the next challenge, The bike feels like it is not getting enough fuel from idle to about 3000rpm The Mechanic at Duc and I talked about it and after a compression test we are pretty sure its a carburation issue. I have FCRs not sure which ones cause they were on the bike when I bought it. The bike is a 94 M900 with the 944 kit. Once you get the rpms up it screams and it runs fine if you give it alot of gas off idle. I just dont want to do wheelies at every light :) I changed the little inline fuel filter which had some visible crap in it (it is an aftermarket clear filter) The mechanic said he didnt think it was a jetting thing and we tried to adjust for it but no luck. He said that the fuel pump is vacuum/rpm driven and with these carbs maybe it is not giving enough fuel at the lower rpms. Any ideas?

Oh, the guys at Aprilia Ducati of Oceanside are awesome! They got right on my bike and even let me in the back to try and help figure out whats up with the carbs. Great guys, great shop.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
There's a thread here somewhere from a guy that found a fuel pump rebuild kit, just search for 'fuel pump' and you should find it.
Your Monster is old enough that the fuel pump may be getting weak.

Chris Kelley at:
http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/
Sells FCR kits, and is very knowledgable on how they need to be set up.

IMHO, it sounds like either the idle mixture adjustment is off, or your idle jets may be gummed up. The jets can get gummed up if the bike has sat for a long period of time.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, gummed up idle jets was one of the common theories. I have no idea if the bike has been sitting or what since I just bought it. We did try adjusting the idle mixture with no luck.
I dont have any info on these carbs to give me help with breakdown and cleaning. Does anyone know where I can get a breakdown diagram or simple instructions?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Nothing on the Sudco site?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just did a search and found the sudco site. They have a decent diagram. Im guessing that its the main and slow jets that I should try and clean out. Im not really sure if I am ready to break these carbs down without a manual but I guess I gotta learn someday. I just got my service manual in but it wont exactly help me with FCRs ???

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Chris Kelly's ducatitech.com website has an excellent article, "Want to diddle with your FCRs?," that goes on for several pages and includes photographs and should give you all the details you need.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much!
Hey Chris, If you read this (I tried to send you an Email but it was blocked due to too much spam) I want to thank you for all the usefull info.
I just located a fuel pump for $118 so I figure Ill try that, a new fuel pump cant hurt anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
NO don't get that $118 fuel pump!!! I got your e-mail, that nasty gram is there to "bounce back" to the spammers so they'll eventually get me off their list. I likely won't deactivate the e-mail account for a while...

There are a few options. If you search on this site, someone posted a link on how to obtain fual pump rebuild kit. Otherwise, I can sell you compatible vacuum pump for 1/3 the price of Ducati.

:) Chris

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
This is my diddle with FCR article. There really isn't much point in a "manual" for the FCRs beyond the tuning charts. For each configurable option on the carburetors, there is a reaction.

Note that with FCRs, tuning is 100% related to throttle position and has little to do with engine RPM. :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chris, I sent you a PM

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to another shop and had a tech ride the bike and this guy said he thought it was carburated fine and that it felt like clutch problems to him. I started taking the clutch apart and I will start a new post about my adventures there.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
this is where you can get the kit.

Manufacturers Supply Co.
Dorchester Wisconsin 1-800-826-8563

Part Number 451457

Part: $5.99
Freight: $5.99

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Finally got around to calling Manufacturer's Supply. $11.50 and a new fuel pump kit is on it's way. They said that they're getting quite a few requests for that kit. Go figure...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts