Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's too lean to be called an "open airbox cover." Beautifully hand-made from 1/4" X 1/2" aluminum stock w/ a groove for the clamps cut in the top. Bike's in the shop, so can provide only the pic below. Cost is $32.95 for frame alone or $74.95 w/ a BMC air filter.

Go here to order: http://www.ferracci.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=264. If you just want the frame order "conversion ring for F45555" if you have an '01 or earlier Monster, or "conversion ring for F45550" if an '02 or later bike.

[attachment deleted by admin]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
378 Posts
I'm running one on my S4R. I was too much of a wuss to cut into my stock lid so I went this route. It works as advertised.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,988 Posts
I used on on my old s4r and was well satisfied. I used the BCM filter, but in reality, the stock one flows just as well.

It's awful easy and cheap to cut the top off the stock box. Look at the pics on the Ducati accessory page to see how it's done.

LA
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
892 Posts
I made one for $5.00 out of a piece of aluminum from Home Depot. Do a search. there's a great "how to" post somewhere around here. Almost $40 bones for the FBF piece is a rip off IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rule62 said:
I made one for $5.00 out of a piece of aluminum from Home Depot. Do a search. there's a great "how to" post somewhere around here. Almost $40 bones for the FBF piece is a rip off IMHO.
Depends on how you value your time and what tools you have. I have the tools (welder or rivet gun) and the skill. In fact, I was going to do it myself, until I saw this piece for so little money. My time (two hours to travel, shop for materials and fab the piece) is worth more than what I'd save (about $25, net of material cost and fuel). Also, in my not-so-humble opinion, $33 for a handmade, well-finished piece from a reputable company is not too much to pay. So there.

LA said:
I used on on my old s4r and was well satisfied. I used the BCM filter, but in reality, the stock one flows just as well.
With respect, I don't think so. Why else would Ferrari, McLaren and Williams use BMC filters on their F-1 cars? Not to mention Suzuki and Honda in WSB and AMA SB. Maybe at stock-engine flow rates it doesn't matter, but most experts recommend BMC or K&N filters with open airboxes.

LA said:
It's awful easy and cheap to cut the top off the stock box. Look at the pics on the Ducati accessory page to see how it's done.

LA
It's awful easy and certainly cheap, but it's cheap looking, too IMO. Besides, it's not very rigid, especially along the rear of each side. Mine tended to pull sideways, which is why I decided to replace it with something really solid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
I don't think its well made or beautifully finished. I've got one on my M750 that I got as a gift. First, the one I got didn't have the little grooves machined into it so the retaining clips would actually snap down. Second, it was a b**ch to convince the pricks at FbF that something was actually wrong before they sent me a new one. Thirdly, I still don't think the machine work on the one I've got looks near as precise or clean as something from, say, CycleCat. :p

Fast by Ferracci won't get a dime from me. :mad:

That's great that you like it. Its your bike afterall and only your opinion really matters. The rest of us are just yahoos on the interweb. [laugh]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
892 Posts
Odd Duc said:
Depends on how you value your time and what tools you have. I have the tools (welder or rivet gun) and the skill. In fact, I was going to do it myself, until I saw this piece for so little money. My time (two hours to travel, shop for materials and fab the piece) is worth more than what I'd save (about $25, net of material cost and fuel). Also, in my not-so-humble opinion, $33 for a handmade, well-finished piece from a reputable company is not too much to pay. So there.
All I used was a saw, a drill, a screw driver and 4 foot strip of 1/4 inch x 3/4 inch aluminum from the hardware store around the corner. Took about 10 minutes. I think the FBF piece looks terrific. I was just poining out that there is a cheaper DIY alternative that has an almost exact result. I like the DIY stuff... makes my Monster feel more "unique". Anyway, good luck with the FBF piece. [thumbsup]

Oh yeah... the stock paper filter on the Monsters actually do flow more air than BMC or K&N (proven, do a search). It's just that the paper falls apart when exposed to the elements. The BMC/K&N are necessary simply because of their durability (structural integrity).

Ride safe and enjoy the intake "honk".
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top