Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have an 02 750ie and am looking for a bit more power. I have seen were fbf sells a hi compression piston kit for a 750 and would like to know what y'all think and maybe some opinions on this and so details I may be over looking,( ie fuel and ignition timing things like that)

·
Registered
426 Posts
I haven't seen the FBF pistons in about 4 years so I don't know what they look like now. I inspected Wisco, Bucci, and Pistol's from BCM were heads and shoulders better then the rest. The shape of the dome was better, the skirts were better, the underside bracing was better and they make more power. That said there are drop in pistons and there are race pistons they are NOT the same thing. Race pistons require carefully fitting and machining of valve pockets and setting of squish. My feeling is if it is worth doing to is worth going over board.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I normally advise against opening an engine up only to fit high comp slugs. Further, I normally advise the first real mod for 750 owners is to pick up a used 904cc engine.

:) Chris

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Geez guys, it's not really "opening up" a motor, just pop the heads & jugs off & throw it back together. $250-300, one afternoon, & your back on the road. I understand what Alex is saying, but most people aren't trying to squeeze every last drop of HP, they just want a nice power bump from what they have.

G

·
My feeling is if it is worth doing to is worth going over board.
and that's why this guy builds/rebuilds/ships-off-engine's-for-rebuilds on his ducati's... you gotta draw the line somewhere but i think someone took away alex's pencil. however i'm understanding of his affliction because i too was born with the curse of the engineer; understanding things technical that bore the rest of humanity to tears.

hi comps will give you a bit more power but you'd definitely get more out of a 900 though. "there's no replacement for displacement." i'm like norm, i have to tear apart my toys to see how they work... luckily i usually get it back together with no left over parts.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Hell, I rarely get stuff back together without leftover parts!! I figure if it's important, I'll find out soon enough.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
;D ;D ;D
MarkV & Norm, you guys are killin' me!

I too have the engineering affliction of tearing apart my toys to see how they work...been doing it for nearly four decades...

Could've gotten my leaky vertical cylinder base gasket fixed under warranty, but that wouldn't have been any fun at all. Worth the cost of the gaskets to see all the hardware. Dunno why they don't put an O-ring on that oil gallery like the rest of the civilized world does.:-/

BTW, the ports on the head are really nice, and the cylinder, piston and rod are pretty sweet too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts