Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems as if winter will be in the Midwest sooner than expected. I only have been able to rack up 700 miles on my new 696 since I bought it a month ago. One of my favorite pastimes is reading. This is how I am able to make it through the winter. If I cannot ride, i can read about riding!

I think I have read just about every book about motorcycling. From Outlaw biker culture to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I also cannot put down stories from the road, such as Neil Pearts ( from Rush for you young guys) Currently I am reading ( ok its on my ipod) a book called " Fast Company" by David M. Cross. It is based upon his experience working in the States and moving to Italy to help resurrect Ducati. Although he never comes out and says Ducati in the book, he references the " Cosmodromic" engine and the " Beast" motorcycle. I think you will all enjoy it. He does a nice job making you feel like you are inside the factory when he describes the surroundings. I can even imagine the beautiful women he describes. You get a great felling for the culture surrounding these bikes and you can smell the passion ( or pasta) in the air.

Anyone else want to give a brief review of a book they read?

Instead of listing all I have read, I want to get a sense of your readings.

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Tony Foale's "Motorcycle Handling and Chassis Design" is probably the best source available for technical info. I keep a copy on the corner of my desk at all times. It will teach you why your motorcycle does what it does - good and bad. He's undoubtably the world's leading guru on the subject.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My two favorite reads have been:

Leanings by Peter Egan - the best of Peter's Cycle World articles and columns. There is a folow up book as well.

The Grand Prix Motorcycle, The Official Technical History by Kevin Cameron - Beautifully illustrated and great insite into the development of the GP bike 1949-2008.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ghost Rider by Neil Peart has been my favorite thus far. Brought me out of a true funk after having back to back major surgeries in 03 & 04. Great read!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts