Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in Marin, I often cross over the Golden Gate Bridge. I have a FasTrack in my car, and I would like to use one for my Monster. My question is, how do you guys suggest carrying it? I was thinking of strapping it down in the under-seat space (so I can keep it locked and out of sight), but I'm not sure the sensors would be able to pick it up.

The other problem that occured to me is carpool hours, when motorcycles can pass for free - I'd have to remember to put the FasTrack in the anti-magnetic sleeve before leaving, otherwise I'd get charged the $4.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
206 Posts
map pocket of my tank bag. works like a charm (rode to and from Philly this weekend - didn't have a problem in NY, NJ or PA.

i hear people also carry it in their jacket pocket.

cheers!
steve

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
I stick mine in the map pocket on my tankbag to cross over the GGB. And yes, you need to shield it if you're heading over during the regular commute hours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a friend that has his External Ezpass zip tied to the front forkes of his monster. I'm planning on doing that once I get the replacement. Not sure if they have that out in California. He says it works great.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I like the jacket pocket idea... why that never occured to me, I do not know.

R

·
0 Posts
I have taken my FastTrack from my car when I need to Go over the GG. The jacket pocket thing does not work well, at least for me, the sensor never picks it up. It could be that the jacket has kevlar in it. But if you are going to have a FastTrack for just the bike you don't need to worry about it as they will have your plate number associated to the FastTrack and if the sensor does not pick it up they will bill you when they see your plate in the photo they take as you go through.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what happened when you went through and the FasTrack didn't register? Did you get a letter/bill? Cool chase by the CHP? Just curious...

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
We saw 2 bikes go thru with EZ pass in NY and they actually had it in there hand and held it up high as they went thru.
I wondered if that was how you had to do it, that would be a pain. But according to some of these remarks, you don't have to do that.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
iamic said:
Living in Marin, I often cross over the Golden Gate Bridge. I have a FasTrack in my car, and I would like to use one for my Monster. My question is, how do you guys suggest carrying it? I was thinking of strapping it down in the under-seat space (so I can keep it locked and out of sight), but I'm not sure the sensors would be able to pick it up.

The other problem that occured to me is carpool hours, when motorcycles can pass for free - I'd have to remember to put the FasTrack in the anti-magnetic sleeve before leaving, otherwise I'd get charged the $4.

Thoughts?
Has anyone tried strapping it down in the under-seat space yet? Does that work? I would not mind getting EZPASS if I can just tuck it out of sight.

I saw an EZPASS holder with suction cups in dealer here:
http://www.ccbmw.com

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Michael Moore said:
Just out of curiosity, what happened when you went through and the FasTrack didn't register? Did you get a letter/bill? Cool chase by the CHP? Just curious...
I kept it in my pocket and couldnt get it out enough to register the EZpass twice. Both times I just gunned it. Two other times it was through 45mph EZpass things. Dont think it registered then either. Just waiting to get a summons in the mail but Im pretty sure the camera didnt get the plate.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I said:
I have a friend that has his External Ezpass zip tied to the front forkes of his monster. I'm planning on doing that once I get the replacement. Not sure if they have that out in California. He says it works great.
This is exactly what I do, works like a charm. I'm in NYC though so I'm not sure if the FasTrack is the same system.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Not that I have first hand experience or anything....
but around here I hear that you can ride the white line inbetween EZTAG lanes and the sensors don't pick you up... also if you ride the white lines along the shoulder of the EZTAG lanes... [cheeky]

Only to be used in 'emergency' times only of course, those times you 'forget' to bring your tag with you ;)

course, that doesn't stop the :police: sitting on the other side of the sensors/cameras watching you either :-X but you can get off if you actually do own a tag and have it on you, the sensor just 'didn't work'

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
why not use the Pay by plate method? I have 4 vehicles, 1 transponder, and I always use the pay by plate in 3 of those. Is there an addt'l fee I am getting docked I dunno about for using pay by plate?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nothing special happens when you go through a FasTrak lane without the transponder. If you registered the bike's plate with FasTrak, they cross-reference the photo with your account and charge your account the toll. If you haven't registered the plate, you eventually get a crappy photo and a warning telling you to pay up. No biggie.

I stopped carrying my FasTrak transponder a long time ago. I used to put it in my backpack, leather jacket, or even pants pocket, but it never registered. Although it works fine in my car, I've never found a reason to carry it on the bike.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
mud said:
I stopped carrying my FasTrak transponder a long time ago. I used to put it in my backpack, leather jacket, or even pants pocket, but it never registered. Although it works fine in my car, I've never found a reason to carry it on the bike.
Yeah, I discovered that too, and leave the thing in my car now. I still wish they'd let you use the transponder lane during rush hour and not charge b/c you're on a bike. It seems like a simple matter of programming.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts