Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not buying a Monster because I want the fastest bike in the world, but will the 800 accelerate faster than almost any car stock?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have been more specific. Where I live there are alot of really rich kids who either have really fast expensive cars, or cars that they have made really fast. I have no question about most stock cars, but its the aftermarket mods that I am wondering about. You didn't have to be rude. :'(

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Sorry bro, not trying to be rude. Thought you were trolling there... I know my 900 can do the 1/4 mile in around 12 seconds. You'd need a turbochared 911 Carrera to compete with that.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
For what its worth, I think it was Superbike magazine (or one of the other Brit mags) that just had a comparo of the naked middleweights, including the FZ6, SV650S, the kawi 750 and the Duc 800. The Duc had a 0-60 time of 4.8 sec, second best behind the kawi. Can't recall 1/4 mile time and speed, but who cares?! I mean, come on! ;)

D

·
0 Posts
I got a really good jump on a stock mustang GT off the line when I had my M800, but the moron started straddling the lanes, so I bugged out. dumbA$$ cages.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm seeing fast and the furious mixed with a dash of biker boyz here. I think you may be happier with an R1. I'm going to go wash my mouth out with soap now.

M

·
0 Posts
Goose it up at the stoplight, jump it a little like you're gonna burn outta the hole at the first hint of a green light

sneer at the vehicle next to you especially if it is:

an envious yuppie in his mini-short bus SUV

Aunt Clara in her cage

Divine Wind candidate on a rice-rocket

or a double-blown supertwin turbo'd nitrous fed trike next to you....

and when the light turns green drop the revs and ease the clutch out and proceed within the posted limits....

it really fu<ks them up

·
Registered
915 Posts
Have you signed up for the MSF course?....something tells me you are going to need it.

R

·
0 Posts
Adamizzer:

Some friendly (and useful) advice:

Serious motorcyclists are more interested in more performance characteristics than straight-line speed. It's in the turns that bikes really become fun. Within the online world of motorcycle related forums, etc. you'll find that it's only in the kiddie forums, generally dedicated to R1s and Gixxers, that you'll find non tongue-in-cheek discussion of drag race abilities.

At 17, any power is too much power when you don't know how to use it.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Goose it up at the stoplight, jump it a little like you're gonna burn outta the hole at the first hint of a green light

sneer at the vehicle next to you especially if it is:

an envious yuppie in his mini-short bus SUV

Aunt Clara in her cage

Divine Wind candidate on a rice-rocket

or a double-blown supertwin turbo'd nitrous fed trike next to you....

and when the light turns green drop the revs and ease the clutch out and proceed within the posted limits....

it really fu<ks them up
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

R

·
0 Posts
you know... Civic is too fast for any bike to catch up. Did you put a lot of stickers and big freaking muffler "tip"?

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
I'm not buying a Monster because I want the fastest bike in the world, but will the 800 accelerate faster than almost any car stock?
My wife has a '97 civic and I could beat it in a 1/4 mile when my monster was stock. Now it doesn't have a chance, even with a head start...

I would consider style over top speed. If you don't live on the salt-flats, what the point.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As the one guy said, no car will beat you off the line. That doesn't mean it's a good idea though; you'll probably end up getting a reckless driving ticket, or crashing. Not to mention you make other Ducati riders--and motorcyclists in general--look like squids. If you happen to kill yourself, I get first dibs on your bike...try to crash in the grass so I don't have to spend too much on repairs, thanks ::)

·
Registered
599 Posts
In a moment of seriousness,
I'm sure a couple of us snickered when we read this, and snickered more when he said he was 17. But let me please get this across... I worked 4 years as a mortician, I was contracted with the coroners office. Too many times did I have the misfortune of picking body parts off the road (I'm talking literally). I had to pick the mangled body of a young guy who was running from CHP for absolutely no reason. Just wanted to go fast and have a little fun. A truck pulled out at a four way intersection, he hit the side of it going 70mph with no chance to brake. Think about that. Think about an impact like that where your helmet and boots literally blow right off. I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but a lot of you seem like real nice guys. I've learned a lot here and would hate to hear how sad someones mom, son, daughter, wife, etc. would be to have lost dad/son in an avoidable act of speed. I'll get off my soap box now.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Well, I think that about settles that discussion....

Seriously, you will be able to go faster than 99% of cars you see on the street. Doesn't mean you have to do it every time though - sometimes I'll see someone trying to go fast in their Civic and I'll just have a little smile to myself about it all. Life provides lots of opportunities for these little smiles, like when there are long gas lines and an empty pump a cage can't get to and you can just slide in, fill up and take off before the SUVs are even half full.

Consider the alternative to proving to others that your bike is fast: instead ride your bike well, with as much competency and control as you can. I think you'll find it more fun and rewarding (not to mention healthy) in the long run.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Michael has the key here. Ride well and you are doing better than probably 99% of the cagers and 80% of the bike riders.

Better yet. Do some track days. You'll learn more about you and the bike in that one day than years on the street. You'll also learn that "fast" is a very relative term.

Consider the alternative to proving to others that your bike is fast: instead ride your bike well, with as much competency and control as you can. I think you'll find it more fun and rewarding (not to mention healthy) in the long run.

·
Registered
326 Posts
First off, thanks for discovering this forum, it is a great source of information and advice.

Secondly, you want a Ducati so obviously you have very good taste. Kudos to you.

When I was 16 I hadn't discovered bikes yet and I was into cars. My dad had an old 1966 Mustang that we rebuilt as good as we could on a limited (aka lower middle class) budget. My father was an airline mechanic and had worked on cars before that so he really knew how to build the motor, etc. His friend ran a body shop so once we had teh bodywork done he painted the car for a favor. The car was fast, stupid, scary fast. Everyone kept telling me it was too fast and I was going to kill myself. The thing was it was a 1966 Mustang that looked hot, sounded hot, and was hot. I had a huge reputation and never, ever, raced a single person... didn't have to.

I did lots of other stupid things that you do when your 16 - 17 but that will keep for another time. The fact is that when you are that age people can't always tell you what is best, you have to make some experiences of your own to learn from. Everyone on this board means well and has your best interest in their hearts & minds, even if it seem slike thay are talking down to you a bit. Just soak up the wisdom and then make up your own mind... it is the only way to learn and grow and become a better person/rider.

Now I am 31 and I own a coupe of Porsches and every redneck in a pick-up wants to race me at the stoplights. I simply laugh. I am secure in myself and actually do not care if I could win or not. I have enjoyed autocross, trackdays, etc. and know what my driving ability is and what I should and shouldn't do with the car. Of course like everyone I get suckered into showing off now and again. maybe I will jump off teh line, or book it to the next light, anyone who claims to have never done that is full of it. The difference is I don't actualy feel like I have anything to prove, I am just having a bit of fun and hopefully using good judgement when I do.

If you get the Ducati you won't have to prove yourself at every stoplight if you don't want to. Many people on this board own Monster 620s, 800s, etc. and can tell you that the general public assumes these are $20k race bikes and often simply back off when they see the Ducati name.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to know the performance of a bike vs. a car. If you have never owned a bike, how could you know? A 1500cc cruiser, can be slower than a 1000 standard, which can be slower than some 600 sport bikes. So the size of the motor, configuration of the motor (V, inline, Horizontally Opposed, etc.), and the type of bike (standard, cruiser, sports) all effect the bikes performance.

Any Monster will hold it's own with just about any car on the street. Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course as it will make you a faster, smoother, and safer rider. They are not preachy and will teach you things that will make you a better rider on any bike large and small.

If you decide to get the Duc please come back as the people are really helpful and informative and have great advice to give you. Who knows, we might all learn a thing or two from you as well.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts