Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked prices of FBF exhaust($649) and PCIII($329)...and then I checked Motostrano( they sell FBF stuff).....
Same pipes~ $619,

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
the old law of supply and demand Deb. FBF probably has the market cornered in your neck of the woods. It is silly though. I would go over the service writer and talk to some management type person. Explain to them that your feedback to us (DML) will either earn them business, or take some away. Maybe the cost of the pcIII includes remapping and dyno etc... before you get nasty, I would look into that.

S

·
0 Posts
i've no personal experience with them, but it seems FBF has a reputation for being plenty overpriced.

i'd suggest you go ahead and buy the stuff from motostrano or whoever gives you the deal you're after. then just download a map from:
http://www.powercommander.com/719-211.shtml

honestly, i'd figure on the M719-002 map working very well for your bike. the difference between the FBF (well actually sil motor, but anyways...) slip-ons and REMUS slip-ons would be minimal if no nil. install the stuff yourself. it's easy!! save the labor costs and the extra $$$ for FBF's markup on their own goods...

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't have the #s in front of me, but I think my PCIII from FBF was $329 and that included mapping. I had it done at the 6000 service and they also did their open airbox conversion and picked up and delivered my bike and the total was around $1100. From what I can tell from the dyno chart it took 12 runs to get the mapping right. I was so happy with their service and how well the bike runs , I took them a case of beer as a thank you. Just my $.02

O

·
0 Posts
I don't have the #s in front of me, but I think my PCIII from FBF was $329 and that included mapping. I had it done at the 6000 service and they also did their open airbox conversion and picked up and delivered my bike and the total was around $1100. From what I can tell from the dyno chart it took 12 runs to get the mapping right. I was so happy with their service and how well the bike runs , I took them a case of beer as a thank you. Just my $.02
PFM

·
Registered
269 Posts
?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
It is a matter of demand though. Its the same as buying a Rolex watch as compared to a Casio. People pay more for a name/reputation. It really doesnt matter if they have one unit for sale, or 100. They know people will pay the price due to geographical restrictions etc... not everyone has internet access (funny but its true).

T

·
0 Posts
I'M NOT AN FBF FAN.
I'm not sure if it applies to this case; however, manufacturers are prohibitted by law from undercutting their dealer network. That is why you can't buy a new car directly from GM or FOMOCO. That also why you see many manufacturers with "factory outlets" (which are actualy retail stores owned my the same corp). The factory outlet then benefits from the "close relationship" with the factory with the opprotunity for volume sales (and volume pricing) and passes some of the price reduction to the customer. If this same law applies to FBF (with their name on the Sil manufactured pipes), they can't sell for less.

S

·
0 Posts
It is a matter of demand though. Its the same as buying a Rolex watch as compared to a Casio. People pay more for a name/reputation. It really doesnt matter if they have one unit for sale, or 100. They know people will pay the price due to geographical restrictions etc... not everyone has internet access (funny but its true).
sorry tony but i also gotta dissagree with you here. if somebody bought a casio, put the rolex name on it, and charged you more than the cost of a casio, would you buy it? i wouldn't. the point is that FBF doesn't actually make anything. they rebadge what other manufacturors make and resell at a mark up. they're riding on their (well-deserved) reputation from their racing heritage.

deb, if they actually build a map for YOUR SPECIFIC bike, that would be one thing. if they just upload the mapping they developed for the 620, that's another. because of manufacturing tollerances, the price of tea in china, and the flutterings of butterflies in hawaii, no two m620's are identical. so if you're into splitting hairs, the map FBF developped for the monster 620 MODEL won't necessarily apply "perfectly" to your bike. keeping this in mind, and taking into account the fact that there's virtually ZERO performance/flow difference between sil motor (what FBF rebadges) and remus slip-ons, i'd say again that buying your own stuff, installing it yourself, and uploading the M719-002 for FREE off powercommander.com is the best way to go.

it's one thing to want to support your local dealer. it's one thing to pony up the $$$ for a better product. it's another thing to throw money away and kid yourself.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The pipes that Motostrano have are actually FBF pipes, sold as FBF. I know Sil is the manufacturer, but where does Motostrano get thier supply of FBF pipes??...from FBF, here in Pa.??? Or from Sil motor co.? Where does FBF, here in Pa, get thier supply of pipes??
And if you want the "FORZA" name on the pipe they will do that. What is Forza?

·
Registered
455 Posts
The pipes that Motostrano have are actually FBF pipes, sold as FBF...
Sorta - the Sils I got from Joe (bought as Sils) came in a Sil Motor box, but they came with FBF stickers in the box (not on the cans) - it would be my guess that they all come that way, whether you order Sils or FBFs. If anyone wants to turn their Sils into FBFs, I'll sell you my stickers cheap ;D

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Deb,

Should you be able to buy from a third party for less than what the manufacturer sells direct? Maybe not.

But you should NOT expect the manufacturer to undercut the third party either. Redline Motorsports did that and alienated all his channels.

I was waiting for Chris to chime in on this. Since he hasn't....

If you make a Ducati product (as I have considered doing), you need to set the retail price, and if you sell it direct, stick to that price. You have a discount for third party vendors that enable them to make a reasonable profit. If one dealer can operate at a lower margin than most dealers (the margin you have allowed) then he will sell it for less than you do. It will happen.

I expect that Motostrano has lower fixed costs than FbF has and can therefore sell at a lower markup than FbF has allowed in their discount. I don't think the situation is unreasonable. It's your choice whether you feel FbF offers any incremental value for the extra coin. Other posts have offered criteria for making this evaluation.

You're the consumer. Vote with your $!

·
Registered
269 Posts
PFM? WTF is PFM. I'm dying over here....Somebody help an old man out.....

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Not absolutely sure about the meaning in this thread, but to me PFM is "pure f*ckin' magic"

That's the unexplanium, unobtanium that you pay for 'cause you have no choice!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks Don.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The price diference is minimal, but I guess I had hopes that FBF , being a good businessman, would say, " well, if you can get OUR pipes for that price there, we will just sell them to you for that here, since you are purchasing the other products also." If I am spending $ 1600 at thier facility, they could at least cut me a break of $50-100? They could at least say, "well, I'll see what I can do." After all I did buy the bike there.
When I bought the bike there they seemed to bend over backward for you, the 600 mile service went fine, now they seem a little "snobbish". Sort of like ... this is the way it is , take it or leave it. Maybe I'm just reading them wrong.....Or it is cause I'm a GRL...
I talked with Phil in service today and he was very nice and answered all my questions, so we'll see...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Deb,
I just hate when that happens. Seems to be reality ...
Still it just not work for me.
All my shitty car dealers have done that,
luckily my Ducati dealer has not. We agreed with them that I buy next car from them...
Anyway,
when a Sales person has arrived to the point of not understanding where is the business,
that is a time to do something else.
Skier

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
sorry tony but i also gotta dissagree with you here. if somebody bought a casio, put the rolex name on it, and charged you more than the cost of a casio, would you buy it? i wouldn't. the point is that FBF doesn't actually make anything. they rebadge what other manufacturors make and resell at a mark up. they're riding on their (well-deserved) reputation from their racing heritage.
ok, I gotta stick up for myself and the ignorant masses. Say you go into a "reputable" jewelry/watch store and they have a beautiful Rolex... no no no, Lets make it even simpler. Ever been to NYC where the street vendors sell the fake Rolex watches? If they are smooth talking enough to get you to seriously consider buying one-thinking it is real, they got ya. A real Rolex doesn't "tick" though the seconds. It rolls continuously. Being uneducated, a person would believe it is a real good deal. I mean they look authentic until the gold flaking comes off. The same as FBF, they can claim to be selling their product, but it is just a spinoff relying on name recognition to make the more expensive sale. That is where demand comes into play. People- ignorant or well informed or just too rich for their own good- want the name brand that is associated with excelence.
It may seem like a stretch, but I am trying..... ;)

·
Registered
835 Posts
I don't think it is "supply and demand" really, it's more "what the market will bare". IF there were not enough ppl willing pay FBF's prices then FBF would soon be out of business or lowering their prices. It's just that simple.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts