Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They say the S4RS doesn't handle ??? Something about no trick suspension could save this frame on a twisty road ???
This is the first negative thing I've seen about a S4RS. they did not mention any settings, could it be they don't know how to set up the suspension? I would think with the amount of adjustment you could change things alot. It's been a long time since i rode a Monster and I haven't rode the RS yet but I would think handling would nat be an issue. It was the biggest naked comoarison I've seen though.

I don't care what they say , Istill want one ;D

Gavin

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
well the biggest issue is the stock setup is handlebars, and all the reviewers have ragged about how they wanted it to have a steering dampener. Personally i think that it is bias, cause all the reviewers want to do is race and take turns at really fast speeds. If you wanted to get clips ons, rearsets, and a steering dampener, even a harley could take turns at fast speeds, but you kill your street and city manuevering. Its pretty scarey when going above 85 without at least a dampener. That front tire can be shakey. but it is more because how the bike wants the rider to distribute the weight. It also has a very short wheelbase compaired to SBKs. All the reviews seem to treat it like an SBK in reviews too, so maybe they think it should have SBK stuff like clipons and a dampener.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I know we all tend to think what we have is the best, but the S4RS is one of the best handling bikes on the planet. Mine doesn't have a steering dampener and so far as I can tell doesn't need one. The bars are perfect, for me anyway. And yes it takes a little, and I mean a little, adjustment to get the bike to handle at its' best. I increased ride height one inch in the rear and increased dampening at both ends. Nothing drags and I'm using all the Pilot Powers have to offer. I ride it every day and at some point go almost as fast as the bike will go every day. I live in the moutians and basically ride the **** out of the thing. I know you're not supposed to ride so hard on the street, but I've done it for over 35 years - it's the last vestige of my anti social behavior. Some people have preconceived notions concerning monsters. A guy at Ducks fly South (Turno rider) made a comment about how badly the Monsters handle and drag hard parts on the pavement. I couldn't help but think "bring it on" brother.

My advice to anyone thinking of owning one is try one, you will not be disappointed. I'd love to get a chance to ride my scoot with these people who are bashing the s4rs and give em a chance to get a real good look at the back end of it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have an S4Rs, and I just sold my 999s. The monster is far easier to ride on the street and in the the mountain twisties. Of course is isn't as stable at high speeds, it isn't a 999. It isn't set up for the track.......but that's why I sold the 999s a got the S4Rs, I ride on the street not the track! I'm very happy with my choice. The S4Rs has everything you could want for a street bike, and you can ride it for more than 30 min. without needing a bottle of Motrin.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
JJGeo said:
Its a steering damper...nothing is getting wet here folks! ;)
[laugh] [clap]

I personally don't trust the UK mags' reviews, all too often their outcomes differ markedly from what just about every other source I read has to say about a bike. They're still interesting, just take their conclusions with a grain of salt. Perhaps they didn't set it up very well? NFI but the monsters are well know for handling well and have been for some time. They're not perfect, sure, but they're usually noted as some of the best handling bikes around.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I think they loved it in Superbike. I've got that at home. A couple of the brit mags are owned by the same company, so it's funny when they have totally different reviews.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Compared to a modern sport bike, a monster leaves a lot to be desired.........but it's not intended to be a sport bike. It has limited ground clearence and the weight bias is much further back that most bikes. It also carries it's weight too low to challenge others in the twisties. However, it is still a great handling bike & if you want to make it sportier, it's fairly easy to mod. I think all motorcycles should have steering dampers, but only as insurance. If your bike wobbles, find the problem, don't mask it with a damper.

·
Registered
79 Posts
G_Reb said:
They say the S4RS doesn't handle ??? Something about no trick suspension could save this frame on a twisty road ???
This is the first negative thing I've seen about a S4RS. they did not mention any settings, could it be they don't know how to set up the suspension? I would think with the amount of adjustment you could change things alot. It's been a long time since i rode a Monster and I haven't rode the RS yet but I would think handling would nat be an issue. It was the biggest naked comoarison I've seen though.

I don't care what they say , Istill want one ;D

Gavin
...Wish I knew what you're talking about.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gracie said:
...Wish I knew what you're talking about.
Fast Bikes (the magazine) complaining about the handling of the S4RS.
The order they have them in
1. KTM 9?? 10/10
2. Speed triple 9/10
3. Turno 8/10
4. S4RS 7/10
5. Kawi K1000 7/10
6. Benelli TNT 7/10

complaining about the handling on a Duc with Ohlins just doesn't seem right ;D
I have my own reasons for wanting a Monster and could care less what the mags say, it just seemed like an odd complaint.

Gavin

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
G_Reb said:
Fast Bikes (the magazine) complaining about the handling of the S4RS.
The order they have them in
1. KTM 9?? 10/10
2. Speed triple 9/10
3. Turno 8/10
4. S4RS 7/10
5. Kawi K1000 7/10
6. Benelli TNT 7/10

complaining about the handling on a Duc with Ohlins just doesn't seem right ;D
I have my own reasons for wanting a Monster and could care less what the mags say, it just seemed like an odd complaint.

Gavin
That order and those ratings seem contrary to eveything else I've ever read. The Speed Triple felt more top heavy and a little less stable on dip in to the Monster from what I gather. I've never been on a KTM, so I can't say anything about those.

I agree with the comments from others that it really depends on what type of riding and handling they're talking about and trying to rate. A Ferrari F40 is a great handling car on the track, but on the street it sucks, where the Acura NSX is great on the street but on the track it lags. Same with these bikes. In the real world, all of them are fun as hell, and only a small percentage of riders are going to explore the limits of handling, so the ultimate limits aren't as important as the everyday feel and this is where I think the Monster is at it's best. The average rider can make the bike handle and explore their collective capabilities without having too many "oh ****" moments. Ergo, it's more fun, and more capable for more riders.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Norm said:
Compared to a modern sport bike, a monster leaves a lot to be desired.........but it's not intended to be a sport bike. It has limited ground clearance and the weight bias is much further back that most bikes. It also carries it's weight too low to challenge others in the twisties.
I know you have way more experience that most people on this forum, but the S4R & S4Rs are very different from previous monsters. I didn't realize how much until I rode a M900. The lack of fairings limits the Monster's competitive edge above 120 mph, but the suspension and ground clearance are not limiting factors in the twisties. With equal riders, the S4R & S4Rs will stay with any SBK in the turns, until such speeds that wind resistance and HP take over.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Duke Dave said:
It also has a very short wheelbase compaired to SBKs.
that seems funny because a monster is 1440 and a sbk is 1420 :eek:
the superbike is shorter
done withe the correction

the reason why the bike is "sketchy" is the off set in the triples and the amount of weight over the front

i have had my bike on the track and the street with alittle more trail it would sure things up.

also after riding the s4rs it sucked becuse of the suspension not being set up.

its like al those people buying up adjustable forks thinking they the cat meow. go take a look athe "valves" in the forks. they plain out suck the valve is round stock with holes drilled in it. i have a 999 kit in mine now and i have full use of the travel and am not missing 20mm of it any more.

just cause it says ohlins on it does not mean that it works great. learn how to tune it appropriately. [thumbsup]
this would give a reson for their poor review the suspension is not set up!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
KTM 9 = Super Duke

There's a new one apparently, an R version with radial calipers and a bigger tank. I hope the stock one gets a bigger tank too, that was one of the main complaints about the Super Duke in many of the reviews of it. Meant to be an amazing bike.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Fast Bikes is a worthless Mag, It reads like a motorcycle tabloid. The guys who are testing the bikes are way more interested in wheelies than actual ride-ability.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
EvilSteve said:
KTM 9 = Super Duke

There's a new one apparently, an R version with radial calipers and a bigger tank. I hope the stock one gets a bigger tank too, that was one of the main complaints about the Super Duke in many of the reviews of it. Meant to be an amazing bike.
Are those actually for sale now?

Seems it's been 'coming next year' since about '02.... ::)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts