Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I have the Famsa tail pack\roll and the Famsa tank bag. The tail roll is excellent, stable and holds a lot.
The Famsatankbag is OK for daily use, but for travelling I use the Givi monster tankbag - see picture, because
it holds a lot and also you can lay on it to take the pressure off wrists etc on a long trip.

Givi and Famsa bags have a waterproof cover. It works well on the tankbags, but is a bit sloppy on the
tail roll and covers the rear light. I don't use the cover anymore and just pack everything in plastic bags.

Piccie is of my S2R1000 with Givi tankbag and Famsa tail roll on a recent 2500 Km trip.
These bags in combination with the Kriega 35 backpack are what I use for long trips.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~redkite2/S2RLuggage01.png
http://www.xs4all.nl/~redkite2/S2RLuggage02.png

Sorry, pics maybe a bit large for some..Stu in Amsterdam

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stu! You have answered a lot of my questions. How easy is the tail bag to remove and reattach? Does the Kriega in any way interfere with the tail bag? I don't think I will ever travel far enough to merit the use of a tank bag but your setup looks ideal. My pipes are low mount so the Famsa saddlebags would also work. Have you ever had any experience with those?

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Hiya. Not had any experience with Famsa Panniers, but used Oxford ones on my 900 Hornet.
The Famsa tailbag take a couple of minutes to fit. I use Wonderweb to protect the seat cowl plastic (and the tank of course under the tankbag)

2 straps from the front fit round the pillion footrest frames and I use just one strap at the rear that runs under the seat\teatray.
The bag sits very securely and has never moved. You do need to check the straps every now and again as the contents of the
bag settle during riding which causes the straps to need tightening.

If I've stuffed the 35L Kriega backpack full, and the tailpack as well, then they do get in the the way a little. Because you tend to lean forward a bit on the S2R
it's not too much of a problem. I combat this by not filling the tailpack too full, and compressing it as much as possible with the supplied compression straps.

My biggest problem is actually getting on and off the bike with all the baggage attached, coz you have to swing your leg over the tailpack.
On the Honda, when on the side stand, I could stand on the footrest and then swing my leg over - can't do that on the S2R as the front tends to slide away.

Good luck! Stu

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am stronly inclined towards getting the Givi tank bag. But as one last point, I wanted to know what your take was on protecting the tank from getting scratched with the bag and the straps. Do you have that problem at all? Similarly for the tailpack. I used to use a magnetic tank bag on an old honda hawk I had and it caused significant damage to the paint.

Much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Well I was very happy with the Givi Tankbag while I was being very carefull with how I placed the straps and used a couple of layers of wonder web under the bag.
One morning I overslept and was due to catch a ferry to the UK at 7 in the morning and I fitted it very hurriedly - result = dull patches on the tank where the straps chafed against the paint. The S2R tank paint is ridiculously soft. So my take is, great bag, lots of room in it, looks good, but needs to be fitted calmly and carefully. Also if you're not using it, you can't really leave the straps on the bike. So I still have the bag, but now I've gone for a completely different system which works brilliantly.
No more tank straps for me! Here's a review I posted of my new system a few weeks ago. Have a look and see what you think. Stu

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=73269.msg939853#msg939853

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you so much for the detailed, well thought-out reviews! You have no idea how helpful that is.

I like the idea of the 'floating' tank bag thats not going to scratch the tank. I havent ever put anything on the tank and already I can see fine scratches/marks on the tank and I dont know where they are coming from. :-\

My only problem is that I don't like the look of the little mount over the gascap and ideally (being picky), would like the mount itself to be something I can put on and take off quickly and easily. How practical is that? I looked at the installation instructions online and they didnt entirely make sense beyond a certain point.

My decisions are now :
For short jaunts around town : Decide between the Cortech bag with straps that dont touch the tank at all vs. the Givi (if I use the Givi, will use wonderweb underneath).

For longer rides : The 'floating' bag solution but I would (ideally) want to put on the mount only when I need it.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
The tank ring is held on with 4 bolts that are longer than th e original bolts. You could mount it as needed but I wouldn't want to keep doing that. If it was just 2 or 3 times a year then maybe, but I use one or other of my floating bags more or less every other day.
I do agree that the tank ring is ugly, a horrible chunk of grey plastic. I contacted the company in Germany to see if I could get hold of one in stainless or black, but they said they had no plans to change the current ring.
It's down to personal choice really - what you're happy with. I''m lazy and I like an easy life and I dont want to spend 10 minutes or so fitting bags before I ride off.
Another thing is where does your bike sleep at night, in a garage? - if so then you can leave everything on it. I live on the 3rd floor and my bike's chained to a tree on the street!
For quick jaunts around town - I'd take my backpack, not fit the Givi!
Good luck - let us know what you end up with. Stu

1 - 8 of 8 Posts