Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there all.

Quick question -- I've got a relatively new '03 620 (700 miles) and it is my first Duc. I've been getting a lot of false neutrals, more than any bike I've been on. It tends to happen more when I downshift than upshift and generally only in SF city traffic. Is this normal? And is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One thing that I found out after I switched my shifter to GP (reverse) style was that it was to far from my foot. Being the lazy Americans that we are I was not hitting it hard enough to move all levers involved. If yours is regular style it is the same direction downshifting that I use up shifting. Try adjusting it a little more so that it is closer to your foot. And above all remember it is like an Italian woman it needs to be hit a little harder than most. ;D

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
spidey, since this would be free, try different pedal adjustments. you should also complain to the dealer. you might need an internal adjustment.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Yes it needs a deliberate shift, especially when new.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My 620 did the same when new but only when I wore tennis shoes. But it miraculously stopped when I started wearing stiff leather boots....hmmm. Shift like you mean it and then no problem.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Some Ducati transmissions have a lot more false neutrals than others. My 97 M900 had loads of them. I could easily fine a "neutral" between any two gears with it being especially easy between 4th and 5th. That bike got its first false neutral when it had about 20 miles on it and didn't really change much up to 19,600 when it finally ceased existing as a complete bike. Chris Kelley now owns the engine out of it, so if it gets opened up there might be some adjustments that could be made.

I had a 96 M900 for a few months and it was rare to get a false neutral with that bike. I now have a 98 ST2, and have experienced only two or three false neutrals in 1000 miles. All were due to extremely lazy shifting.

For the 97, I adjusted the shift lever down about half an inch, which helped quite a bit. The other thing that helped was to be a little more conscientious about giving it firm upshifts. It generally only happened when I gave it a lazy shift.

I find it interesting that the 620 is more likely to do them when shifting to a lower gear, since those were extremely rare even on the 97 gearbox. They've all been when shifting to a higher gear.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I got one this weekend and then I somehow managed to get it between gears while attempting to get it back into neutral(had a not-so-fun buzzing noise). I think its because I started moving the lever faster than a kid with ADD on a sugar high.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
You know - I really love my false neutrals. Especially when I am really trying to get it moving & shifting from 1st into 2nd. It almost never fails. I'm just such a dumb buttock that I forget to hit it hard enough. I am going to reverse my chifter after I get back from my trip through the twisties in the Mountains @ Deals Gap.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Been experimenting with clutchless upshifts a bit, a few others here seem to like it.

I tend to get my false neutral on the upshift from 5th to 6th, while merging onto the freeway. Haven't tagged the rev-limiter yet...

Trans should loosen up a bit with time, and you get a better feel for how it needs to be shifted too. If it persists, bug your dealer to check the internal shift mechanism adjustment.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
false neutrals were rare for me and always rider error. lately, i have been working on not being a toe dangler due to threads on this board. this has affected my shifting. clutchless upshifts are easy once you get the timing right.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
You know - I really love my false neutrals. Especially when I am really trying to get it moving & shifting from 1st into 2nd. It almost never fails. I'm just such a dumb buttock that I forget to hit it hard enough.
That would be a real neutral you're hitting when going from 1st to 2nd.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Yeah Yeah - you got me Scott. I deserved that one. That is why one should always proof read their post prior to posting. :-[ I was meaning to say 2nd to 3rd & 3rd to 4th. Not sure what happened to my brain there. False neutral, real neutral - who really cares - I hit them all too often.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts