Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to use a superbike front piece as a solution to new headlights and a fairing on my bike. I've always loved the way Ducati's headlights look so I'm trying to make my bike like this:

What do you guys think of this?
Anyone have any suggestions on how I can start this. I of course am looking at yellow front nose pieces (most of which are naked), and headlights, but what else would I need to mount a yellow fairing and headlights to my monster? Any suggestions would be very helpful, and any spare parts that you guys might want to part with like say a front nose piece or headlights would also be really great too!! Thanks for all of your help, and you completely naked monster guys please don't blast my idea ;)
BTW I would like to thank Ron from Cali for having such a great idea!

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Probably a good place to start is to survey the stock front end and start mentally or actually removing the stuff currently mounted to the forks that will need to mount in the SBK type fairing. This includes stuff like headlight, instruments, signals, etc.
With that stuff out of the way, either mentally or actually if you want to - start roughing out a plan for how you can set up mounting stays and brackets. A few trips to bike dealers to study in detail how different bikes are done will help. With the forks pretty much naked, some support may be run from the steering head tube and of course from some points on the frame.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help, I've started mapping a little. I guess a good look over a SBK could really help. I think the stuff I really am curious about is mounting headlights, how they mount, about how much I should expect to pay for a nose piece, how much to pay for SBK headlights. Thanks for the quick responses!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
You can download the parts manual for maybe a '00 996 from ducati.com, it'll show all of the stuff inside the front fairing and headlights and stuff.

Could start your laundry list there.

Dunno if there's aftermarket fairing parts for Ducs, maybe cheaper/easier to get. If the stock one is plastic, a fiberglass aftermarket one would be easier to mount as you could glass mounts in wherever you wanted.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Take a look at the AirTech site. They make the 916 street upper and it costs about $201. Their site is:

www.airtech-streamlining.com

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I think Sharkskins has some Duc stuff, too. Not sure if it would include street versions or race only w/o light openings.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
ifin you are interested in pursuing the sbk fairing, which I personally like.....and can't find anyone to do the billet clamp....
I know someone who can.....a few posts on some lists should get you all the parts.....
I particularily liked his bike as he trimmed the bottom
of the upper which gave it a nice finnished look......

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally got ahold of Ron Gilbert who's bike I have pictured and he's been helping me out alot. Here's what he said he did,

916 fairing upper. I wanted to do this mod ever since I got the Monster. It only required the fabrication of two C-shaped brackets which were hose clamped to the steering head. These brackets bolt to the stock 916 headlight bucket, which plugged right in to the Monster's light plug harness. No wires were cut or spliced for this to work. It was a really straight forward installation that I'll gladly walk anyone through. As a bonus, not only does the fairing look good (in my humble opinion), it really works. The aero-dynamics keep the wind blast off of you, and help keep the front end planted. The bike is very stable at high speeds, much better than stock, or with the Monster bikini fairing. (UPDATE) After buying the 996, I didn't need two bikes setup with clip-ons. The Monster has always been an experimental platform, so off came the 916 fairing. If you are interested in doing this mod, its a pretty simple operation. It cost me about $700. in quality used parts (all stock 916 stuff) which basically just bolt to your steering head. You can either have lugs welded onto the steering head (that match what a 916 has) or you can use hose clamps wrapped around the steering head which hold the headlight assembly/upper fairing on. Both work.

I think I should be on my way. Thanks for all the posts,
Ducman- The heart of a monster looks sweet, but I think I'll wait until I graduate college and just go ahead and buy the whole 998 shebang. Thanks guys for all of your suggestions

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Retro, think you could hook me up with that guy. I need some pictures of how to mount that upper to the stearing head or triple tree. I know some have fabricated brackets or whatever but I am clueless how you guys are getting these uppers to stick to the monsters :p Thanks guys

R

·
0 Posts
Sure I can get the contact info for you tonight.....and possibly some photos as well.......

R

·
0 Posts
Okay well a guy who spins wonders on the lathe and sometimes works at Manley Cycle fabbed the billet clamps for the sbk uppers
for the race bikes here.......they are way cool as is everything that Mike does.....so I asked and they said to just call Manley and ask for Tom.....they can do one off but would be best if there was interest from others so they could have the parts done as a batch.
They can also walk you through any questions you would have on the hook up as they have done enough.....and they are fianlly open again.....I took pics but don't have time to post tonight I will tomorrow though......they had a great monster race bike in and the famed Tularis and a really cool Super Motard with a slipper clutch for their grand opening.....I will make a note here when I post the pic's. ciao

http://www.manleycycle.com/

R

·
0 Posts
here's the best pics I could get...sorry it is a little confusing in there.
..I believe MonstaS4 also wants to add
an SBK upper so that might be 3 already.......anyone else?

·
Registered
735 Posts
You bet I am in. I am dying for a naked 916 Senna. If a group buy will drive the cost down, I am all for it. That yellow M900 w/ the 916 fairing is one of the reasons I ended up w/ the monster. ;D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does anyone have anymore pics of Ron's monster with the 916 fairing on it? I use to have some but had to format and didn't have them backed up, and I can't find them on his site anymore. The bigger the resolution the better.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those clamps look great. Lets do it. I want some.
Patrick

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well ok while we're at it, what would it take to mount that 916 fairing on the monster? might as well go with the whole shebang.
Patrick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts